Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Can divorce actually be good for your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think divorce can actually be good for your kids? 

Do you think couples should avoid divorce when they have young kids?  

punching

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (21-30):
Oceana09
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I tried to avoid divorce and it didn't work. He was more concerned about his alcohol and his marijuana than he was us. We were fighting constantly so it was either have DD around constant fighting and arguing (and constant alcohol and drugs) or get a divorce. I chose divorce.

jltplk25
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

My parents stayed married because they didn't want to raise me in a broken home. At least that's what my dad told me after he and mom divorced after 20 years of marriage. So no, staying together for the sake of the children is never a good thing. Children need an example of a healthy, happy relationship based on truth, not lies.

.Funfetti.
by New Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

It can absolutely be a good thing!! 

I am 24 and my parents are finally divorcing, my brother and I are very happy about it. The marriage was toxic and needed to end. 

It's better to have two parents that are happy apart, than miserable together. That does a HUGE disservice to any child. 

NewMamaBoo
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Yes when it comes to living in a home with abuse it's better to get divorce 

LOswald0314
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Yes, if the relationship is that bad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Absolutely it can be what is best.  My best friend left her abusive husband.  She and the kids are in a MUCH healtheir state of being now.

jenesis915
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM

in the beginning it seems impossible but maybe later it does 

i think it was good my parents divorced but i didnt realise it  till 7 years later 

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:55 AM

My parents were divorced when I was 10.  I think it was the worst possible decision they ever made . . . so I would never choose divorce for my family and children.

babyboxfish
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:56 AM

yes

Quoting mydarlingsofia:

I think if the couple is fighting all the time and it's affecting their kids, then yes, it's best. But if they are able to hide it and be happy for their kids or work it out, then being in a stable household is best.

Mom2Phoenix2011
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:16 AM
1 mom liked this
My parents getting a divorce was a bitter sweet day. The bitter part was I would not get tucked into bed every night by both of my parents. Otherwise I saw my dad almost everyday I no longer had to hear them fight, they were both happy, and while they could not live together they were the best Co parents ever.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)