Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Can divorce actually be good for your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think divorce can actually be good for your kids? 

Do you think couples should avoid divorce when they have young kids?  

punching

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (31-40):
jakesmom323
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:56 AM
I'm a product of divorse and it happened when I was 10. Emotionally, I had a lot of issues with it as a young person and if my dad wasn't a total crazy Vietnam Vet amongst other things, I really needed a dad to protect me in my teens from doing dumb stuff. I think that when adultry, physical and mental abuse are the case, it's probably a good idea to protect your children. If counseling is not an alternative and there is no love or respect, what else can you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:59 AM
yes. abusive relationships, drug or alcohol addiction are automatic grounds for divorce in my opinion. I won't even attempt to work things out at that point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:09 AM
My parents are divorced. They split up when I was 9. I was very upset and angry about it, than when I was about 16, I realized wow they are way better apart, than they ever were together. The constant fighting isn't good at all. You may think that your kids don't see or hear things, but they do.
My sons father and I broke up when he was a month old. He doesn't know us as being together. His dad isn't even a part of his life really at all.
It's healthier for kids to have two homes and split up parents, than to have parents that are going to argue and fight all the time.
dorkish_face
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:19 AM
I was 10 when my parents divorced, it made sense to me. They didn't act married and he was a jerk.
jillianmayasmom
by New Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:43 AM
My husband's parents stayed together for the kids, finally divorcing when he was 23 (he is the oldest). He wishes they had divorced when he was 10. He has absolutely no memories of happy parents and the emotional damage that has been done to all three of them as a result is truly sad.
angelmj
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I wish my parents got a divorce sooner, but they stuck it out till I was 22. When I say sooner I mean that one time when they split up and I was 4 I wish it stayed that way. All they did was fight and call each other names, listening to your parents talk bad about one another to you hurts. Watching them battle it out all the time and cry hurts. It is unhealthy for and unfair to the child and I do not recommend it for anyone, unless you can at least maintain a decency in front of your child. I know parents who choose to go to counseling and argue when the children are not around if anything. So I guess it really depends on how you choose to handle it.

Mistygirl
by New Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:09 AM

avoidance of divorce is always a good thing. Couples really should try and fight through the bad times. However I do believe that in some cases divorce is good for the  children. My Brother has full custody of my two little neices, there mother got addictedto drugs and another guy and is in serious trouble, when the girls were with her, she neglected them. CPS deemed the house the girls were living in a pit and unlivable. My brother has been trying to help her and make things work but sometimes it's just best to go your seperate ways.

DanaG70
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Don't EVER stay in an unhappy marriage just for the kids! EVER! Even though kids don't see you fighting, they still know when you are unhappy. They can feel the tension and it will effect them.

iamcafemom83
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Yes, yes I do. My parents divorced. It is really not fun, at all to go through....but I am glad I didn't grow up in a house full of resentment and arguments.
ambermario4ever
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM

If one parent is abusive in any way then yes it can be good becuase then you are getting them out of a bad situation. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement