Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

What's on your "Don't say it!" list?

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

Most of us agree good communication is the A-number-one way to keep your marriage strong. (Me? I say separate bathrooms could be a huge rival for that top ranking, but that's discussion for another video, I'm sure.) 

I've read it all: how to talk so the other person listens, tips on arguing in smart and healthy ways, yadda yadda yadda. But we all have those one or two statements that, when uttered, will only make us that much more likely to hurl the OJ carton in the direction of our spouse.

I definitely agree with Joanie: "Whatever" is one of the worst.  Another one of my personal biggies: "Why are you so stressed?" (Um, do we have time to list all of the reasons?). I did my own informal poll around the kindergarten pickup, and here are a few that folks (moms and dads) passed along:

-- "Sure, I'll babysit the kids." Granted, I don't think I've ever heard a mom say that statement. Plain and simple, guys: if they are your kids, you aren't babysitting them...you are being a parent. 

-- "Why are you doing it that way?" It could be anything from folding the towels to connecting the Wii to the TV. It goes both ways: second-guesssing your spouse is a rough one. If we ask our loves to do something, let them do it their way.

-- "You ALWAYS blah blah blah." I'm purposely writing blah blah blah because that is what the other person will hear if you start with "You ALWAYS." Your voice will totally morph into that of Charlie Brown's teacher (Wah-wah-WA-wa-wahhhh). 

What is the main thing you say to your spouse that he hates...and what does he say that you can't stand? 

©iStockphoto.com/ Firebrandphotography

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM
I don't think either of us likes it when the other says "whatever".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pampire
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:29 AM

"Whatever" is a peeve of mine.  he hates it when I ask him to repeat himself because I wasn't listening and he thought I was.

TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:24 AM

He absolutely hates when I yell his name...but it has to be a certain tone. He knows then that  I'm either angry or want him to do something...lol.

I also can't stand when he asks me "What's wrong?"...for some reason it pushes me buttons even more when I'm already stressed or angry and he has sort of an epiphany that I might not be having a good day...even though he was right here the whole time.

SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:22 AM

He hates it when I say he does something "all the time" since very rarey is something 100%.  I don't like it when he asks me what he can do when I am upset at him.

Albond86
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:40 AM
"Get over it"
"Whatever"
"I don't believe you"

Those send me over the edge!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I don't think I have one and I don't think he does, either. I'll have to ask him.

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I'll have to think about this one.

Bob192
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

It drives me nuts when my husband doesn't talk and tell me what's going on.  He hates it when I talk to much!  Great combo huh?

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM

It drives me nuts when he says, "Fine, you are right," when I know he doesn't mean it.  It drives him nuts when he is gone longer then he says he was going to be and I ask what took so long. 

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Me to him, *Did you read the instructions before asking me?*  Him to me, *Did you remember to get blah, blah?*  (after I left the store already, LOL)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)