Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are we praising our kids too much?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM
  • 86 Replies
2 moms liked this

We want our kids to know they’re special, but are we continually boosting their confidence so that they won't understand the value of failure? Andrew, Joanie and Chuck share great advice on how you can raise kids who know how to set goals and fight to achieve them.

Are we praising our kids too much?

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Albond86
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this
In some ways I think yes we are. But I only have a toddler so right now praise is super important. But sometimes letting one fail is a good thing. It's how the real world works!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I dont know, interesting thought but I do think praise is very important for a child

MistressMinerva
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's very important for a child. But you need to let them fail so they can learn from it as well.

inmybizz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM
5 moms liked this

I actually think failure is a good thing..Our society is so into making sure each child feels important/ a winner we never have the talk about how to handle yourself when you don't win or the situation is not all about you. I try to be real with my daughter- when she does well i give her a high five, when she does poorly we talk about ways to improve/what she can do differently. I push her to challenge herself. I believe it's a valuable skill for later in life.

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM

In some ways yes we are.Kids need to be praised but they also need to know that they cant win at everything and that eveything is not such a big deal when they do something

Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't think so, at least in our life. 
My daughter still gets very happy when she knows she has done a good job.
We tell her "You'll get it next time" if she fails at something.
But I will never NOT praise my daughter for something good she does.

I was never told that I did a good job.
The only time someone told me they were proud of me was at my High school graduation and my Grandma told me she was so proud of me while hugging me. The only person. And she passed away almost a year ago.

I will never let my daughter feel that horrible pang when you tell your parents something good about school and they brush you off. Or you make an art peice and they say cool, put it on the fridge and that's it.

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I do think all kids need praise.  Heck, even as adults we like to be praised but at the same time children have to know failure and how to deal with that as well.  

sandbuster
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM
On some things I believe we are. On the other end sometimes I don't believe we praise enough.
brownhoney21
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Quoting louannwilkins:

I do think all kids need praise.  Heck, even as adults we like to be praised but at the same time children have to know failure and how to deal with that as well.  

Wynn0809
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:24 PM
I agree with you! I have a toddler as well so like you said, praise is very important! But from failure you learn!

Quoting Albond86:

In some ways I think yes we are. But I only have a toddler so right now praise is super important. But sometimes letting one fail is a good thing. It's how the real world works!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)