Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are we praising our kids too much?

Posted by   + Show Post

We want our kids to know they’re special, but are we continually boosting their confidence so that they won't understand the value of failure? Andrew, Joanie and Chuck share great advice on how you can raise kids who know how to set goals and fight to achieve them.

Are we praising our kids too much?

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Interesting, check this out on the science of motivation in the 'real world':

Quoting Teeshann:

this. in the real world not everyone gets the job. not everyone gets the promotion. they need to learn how to lose and to lose gracefully.

Quoting tayanddyl:

I say yes we are!  When kids can receive trophies/medals for being the losing team we are going too far.  I think kids from this generation will struggle with defeat, and will not know how to handle being told no.

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

This is an interesting question. I'll have to think about this one.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Better too much then not enough

bwsmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I think it depends on the child .. I know my oldest needs the extra praise because most things are hard for him .. even like sitting still long enough to finish a sheet of homewrk .. not to mention trying to catch a ball . Where as my other 2 boys dont need as much praise over small things ..

KristinRox
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I think some people do. I think some people go way way overboard with praising their children. They wont ever know what real praise for a job well done is actually like. Theyll grow up expecting praise when praise isnt actually due. 

Now that being said, I think that the majority of people dont overdo it. Its nice to praise your children, where praise is due.. but keep it to that. 

timon95
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:24 AM

we praise our kids all the time, we also encourage them, and we also tell them when there is room for improvement or if something is being done incorrectly.I think it is good to praise our kids, but it is also good to let them fail. 

LOswald0314
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I think it depends on the age of the child.

Kmakksmom
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Sometimes, yes.  I don't think we overly praise though.

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:03 AM

I don't think a child can ever be praised too much, spoiled yes, LOL.

slw123
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I think that it is important to children to know that their parents approve of them.  Praise is very important.  It is also important that they understand that the world doesn't revolve around only them, that they can't always win, sometimes they will flat out lose......but thats part of life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN