Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are we praising our kids too much?

Posted by   + Show Post

We want our kids to know they’re special, but are we continually boosting their confidence so that they won't understand the value of failure? Andrew, Joanie and Chuck share great advice on how you can raise kids who know how to set goals and fight to achieve them.

Are we praising our kids too much?

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Replies (81-86):
elwalters77
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Praise where praise is warranted. I certainly think children need to kjnow they can't have everything they want, when they want it and they need to learn how to deal with dissappointment in life.

celticgodess
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I didn't watch the video, but I must say I am very proud of the fact that 3yo DD not only does a great job taking turns, but cheers whoever wins our games (most of the time :)  I think parents do over praise and under expose to the real world

Kalic0
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Well, my oldest is autistic which means he already has many barriers to success. So, I do praise him a lot for things that most parents would think are ordinary but really ARE a big deal for him. I DO NOT treat my daughter, who is mostly normal, the same way though.
Juniper53098
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I praise my kids for doing their best.  Sometimes they fail, but they will never see disappointment from me if they did their best.

Hottmomma607
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM
This

Quoting inmybizz:

I actually think failure is a good thing..Our society is so into making sure each child feels important/ a winner we never have the talk about how to handle yourself when you don't win or the situation is not all about you. I try to be real with my daughter- when she does well i give her a high five, when she does poorly we talk about ways to improve/what she can do differently. I push her to challenge herself. I believe it's a valuable skill for later in life.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Teaching kids how to accept failure, but fight to succeed is important.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)