Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Joanie Robach is a mom of two, grandmother of eight, and mother-in-law to Andrew Shue. She's been married for over 40 years so she knows more than a few tricks for keeping the romance alive in a relationship. She's not a parenting expert, but she knows what worked for her and she's not afraid to school a new generation of parents on how to raise happy, well-adjusted children. When she's not in Manhattan visiting her grandkids, she lives in the Midwest where she's enjoying retirement after years of teaching high school English.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Replies (31-40):
bafamily
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM

What was the name of that book that you read back in July about living in reality not in your head? My mom and I are like you, constantly worrying about this that or the other, but I think most mothers are.  I would love to get to a place where I worry less.

wandep
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Cool and welcome!

aidensmomma508
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Welcome Joanie! I've enjoyed watching you on the mad life show.

welcome

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Seems like she has a lot of great advice!

bergencounty
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Joanie,

Do you think a grandparent should maintain a relationship with their child's ex-spouse?

Hottmomma607
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Sweet!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MadLife_Joanie
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Quoting bafamily:

What was the name of that book that you read back in July about living in reality not in your head? My mom and I are like you, constantly worrying about this that or the other, but I think most mothers are.  I would love to get to a place where I worry less.

My sister gave a copy of this book to all her other four sisters and we loved it.  It's called Making Life Work:  The Struggle for Psychological Health by Tom Zinkle, Ph.D.  She bought used copies on Amazon.com.  I think it may be out of print, but I'm pretty sure you can still buy the used ones.  I never really understood what it meant to live in the moment until the author added, "or you can live in your head."  Then I got it.  Hope you like it as much as I did.  J

MadLife_Joanie
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Quoting bergencounty:

Joanie,

Do you think a grandparent should maintain a relationship with their child's ex-spouse?

I think it depends on how your child feels about it.  If your child's ex was unfaithful, abusive, or hurt your child deeply, it may feel like a betrayal for you to continue a relationship.  If the split was amicable, better to have a good relationship with the ex! You will be sharing graduations and important events in the children's lives.    

bafamily
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Quoting MadLife_Joanie:

Quoting bafamily:

My sister gave a copy of this book to all her other four sisters and we loved it.  It's called Making Life Work:  The Struggle for Psychological Health by Tom Zinkle, Ph.D.  She bought used copies on Amazon.com.  I think it may be out of print, but I'm pretty sure you can still buy the used ones.  I never really understood what it meant to live in the moment until the author added, "or you can live in your head."  Then I got it.  Hope you like it as much as I did.  J

Thank you so much.  I hope it give my mom and I some new perspectives like it did you.

abra
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Hi, Joanie!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)