Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Can flirting go too far? Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck had to say!

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently, we asked: “How far is too far to go when it comes to flirting with someone other than your spouse?” Some agreed that there is a fine line between innocent flirtation and a dangerous rendezvous. Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck from the Mad Life have to say and then tell us, is there such a thing as “healthy flirtation?” 

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
natesmom1228
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Quoting Leelee1008:

Im the kind of person who thinks it to far to even flirt lol

I agree

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM

You shouldnt flirt if your married

arpazia
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM
I completely agree with you

Quoting Leelee1008:

Im the kind of person who thinks it to far to even flirt lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM
You shouldn't flirt if you're married...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I think that there is fine line between being friendly and flirting and its best not to cross that if you are married.

MrsRobinson06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I think if its not something you would do in front of your s/o then it's probably not something you should be doing.

Bob192
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I don't think it's okay.

meglennox
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

i agree :)

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

I think if its not something you would do in front of your s/o then it's probably not something you should be doing.

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I agree 

Quoting mothervixen:

When it goes beyond flirting to intimate physical contact. That form is even more worse if you're married, engaged, in a serious relationship or just dating.

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM

So I was thinking about how most of the responses here are different from what Andrew, Joanie & Chuck said.  They said, basically that flirting is ok if you can do it in front of your SO, or tell them about it.  Many of us here said no flirting is if you are in a committed relationship.  So I Googled flirting and came up with this definition:

Flirting or coquetry is a social and sometimes sexual activity involving verbal or written communication as well as body language by one person to another, suggesting an interest in a deeper relationship with the other person. In most cultures, it is socially disapproved for a person to make explicitly sexual advances, but indirect or suggestive advances (i.e., flirting) may at times be considered acceptable. On the other hand, some people flirt playfully, for amusement. A female, especially a young one, who flirts playfully is sometimes called a coquette or in slang a cock tease; while a male flirt may be called a womanizer or player.

Flirting usually involves speaking and behaving in a way that suggests a mildly greater intimacy than the actual relationship between the parties would justify, though within the rules of social etiquette, which generally disapproves of a direct expression of sexual interest. This may be accomplished by communicating a sense of playfulness or irony. Double entendres, with one meaning more formally appropriate and another more suggestive, may be used. Body language can include flicking the hair, eye contact, brief touching, open stances, proximity etc. Verbal communication of interest can include the vocal tone, such as pace, volume, intonation. Challenges (teasing, questions, qualifying, feigned disinterest) serve to increase tension, test intention and congruity.

I wonder if the above definition is what Andrew, Joanie & Chuck are thinking of when they think 'flirting'?  Even the dictionary definition - To make playfully romantic or sexual overtures.  Neither definition is something I think married people should be doing outside their marriage (or outside a committed relationship).  Were they perhaps thinking just of being friendly?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)