Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How much privacy do you give your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

It's a different world today than when we were kids.  Today kids have Facebook, Instagram, texting and more.  How often do you check in on your kids internet and cell phone activities?  Do you think they deserve privacy? Or do you think it's your job to track them on a daily basis?

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Replies (21-30):
Rushn311
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM

My daughter goes on the hubby's FB and I can check if she has done anything, but she only plays games. She will IM  her family if she sees them online.

I don't go snooping in their rooms. If I have a question, I will ask, but my daughter tells me pretty much anything.

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I always checked to see what was going on.  I feel as a parent its your responsibility to know what your children are doing.  You have to make sure they're behaving right but also to protect them as well. 

sandbuster
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM

He is allowed to be alone in his room though.:O) If he is talking to his dad on the phone I also allow him to be alone. 

loisl25
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM

My kids are 11, 9 and 8 months, so this isn't really a current issue yet for us, but my thought on it is, anything they post online is public, therefore if hundreds or thousands of strangers can see it, there's no reason I can't. They will have to friend me on any social networking site they want to join. Also, I'm a big believer in if I pay for that door (on the bedroom), then I have the right to demand that it stay open, (unless of course they're changing clothes or something. The dignity/ privacy issue is sacrosanct once they are old enough to feel self conscious about their body, but as for privacy about what they're doing or (publicly) saying, that IS my business.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I don't have teens yet, but I think I would want to monitor their internet activities and their rooms.  If they don't talk to me, I want to make sure they are doing the right things.

blue_apalt
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM

My kids are 1, 4, and 5 so it's not an issue yet, but anything on phones, the internet, etc. are fare game...if it's something you're sharing w/ others then it's fair game for me or dh.  The only thing I swear I wont touch of my kids is a diary (unless she's been in seriouse trouble and I'm worried about drug use or such)...phones that I pay for, email, fb...totally fair game as long as you're young.  Once they're highschool I'll probably let email be, but fb, etc is fair game for me as a parent until they're adults.

Queen_Sheila
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Trust is earned, not given, when they have their own place and their own computer then they can have privacy. It's a privilege, not a right, when you're underage and there are so many predators out there that it's for their own safety to check who they've been talking to online. Even the people who think they've educated their kids about online safety sometimes find that their kids will still do something foolish. Better safe than sorry, your kids will thank you when they're older.

gmadiane
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

my kids were teens by the time computers and cell phones were a big deal, I dont agree with young kids on the internet and on social sites but thats my personal opinion

sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe in internet privacy for children or even teens. When I was sixteen, I was online talking to a 23 year old man who almost got me to meet him. Luckily for me, my brother caught me and met the guy instead, kicked his ass and that was the end of it. I was livid at the time, but now that I'm grown I'm so thankful my brother did that for me. My parent should have done that. I will be all in my child's business when he's older.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

My kids are still too young to have to worry about this yet but when they get older I will be checking up on the frequently to make sure they are safe.  There is just too much scary stuff out there. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)