Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How much privacy do you give your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

It's a different world today than when we were kids.  Today kids have Facebook, Instagram, texting and more.  How often do you check in on your kids internet and cell phone activities?  Do you think they deserve privacy? Or do you think it's your job to track them on a daily basis?

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Replies (41-50):
maidjillian
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:19 PM

??

I think you meant "adults," and not the word "people."  Children are people.

Quoting Babujai:

Privacy is a right.  Rights are for people.  Children are not people...not yet.  Teenagers are closer to people than children so they get some privacy, but like Chuck, I reserve the right to be all up in their mix for random checks and especially if there are some behaviour concerns that I have.

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM

My dd is only 5 so she doesn't have email, FB, etc yet.

kirbymom
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM
I give them as much as they can be responsible with.
kirbymom
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM

It is our job to check on them. How often is really up to them and their behaviour.  If the kids are exhibiting a responsible behaved attitude along with a responsible thought process, then I won't have to check up on them every time they turn around. BUT, if that doesn't happen to be the case, I will watch every move, listen to every word and check all activities as often as deemed necessary. Every few minutes even. Period. That is my job and responsibility as and adult and their parent.  

Beth3721
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM

The only times a child deserves privacy is in the bathroom or getting dressed.  The rest of the time there is no privacy.  When they grow up and move outta my house then they can have privacy.

Babujai
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Um...no...I meant people.

Quoting maidjillian:

??

I think you meant "adults," and not the word "people."  Children are people.

Quoting Babujai:

Privacy is a right.  Rights are for people.  Children are not people...not yet.  Teenagers are closer to people than children so they get some privacy, but like Chuck, I reserve the right to be all up in their mix for random checks and especially if there are some behaviour concerns that I have.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Ive always gave my kids alot of privacy because I was given none growing up and resented it. The one time my dd gave me reason to invade her privacy, she lost it for while and had to earn it back. My other dd never gave me reason to invade her space.
tayanddyl
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM
When it comes to my kids and the internet, there is no privacy. I check everything I know their passwords.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Unicorn1110
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Your right it is a different world. They do have more ways to get online and that makes more ways for predators and other bad people to get to your kid. Under your roof, you make the rules, you pay the bills. Somethings don't change. Your still the parent. I don't care what Billy or Mindy or everyone else parent allows or does not allow. My job to protect my child. They have privacy in the bathroom. I trust my child to a point  but I don't trust others I don't know personally. There is a reason kids  are not adults until 18. The frontal lobe does not grow fully until 18-21.  Kids make mistakes. Part of growing up. Kids have a right to a roof over the head, clothes, and food. Anything else is extra and privileges. Privileges based on what I can afford, your age and behavior. Know what your kids can do. Don't be afraid of technology. If growing up was easy would not take so long.

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM

My boys aren't to this age yet, but when they are, I will be keeping an eye on everything.

Not sure at what age they'll get cell phones.  That may wait until they are 18, but I may let them have one sooner if they are keeping their grades up & its helpful for communicating w them about day-to-day stuff.

Too many things can go wrong, I think its up to us as parents to be aware of what's happening.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement