Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How much privacy do you give your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

It's a different world today than when we were kids.  Today kids have Facebook, Instagram, texting and more.  How often do you check in on your kids internet and cell phone activities?  Do you think they deserve privacy? Or do you think it's your job to track them on a daily basis?

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Replies (81-90):
MrsRobinson06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

My oldest is only 6 so there is very little privacy right now in my household. I plan on prolonging the use of social media websites or cell phones. I also plan to monitor very closely all activity.

gizmo538
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:48 PM
My SS14 wouldn't even have a cell phone or internet access (with the exception of using the internet for school research) if it wasn't for the BM. She doesn't moniter him, says we're too strict even though we caught him giving out his information and having sexual conversations with people he's never met in person. Some of them turned out to be adult men.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
laparla
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I don't think kids have a right to privacy while they are at home.  I think they have a reasonable expectation of some level of privacy until and unless they abuse it.

mommyg97
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I do not think children need privacy.  I have passwords to everything that I know they have passwords to. 

Crissy2424
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I think you can respect their privacy to a point. One thing I'd say is when she is old enough she gets a journal and unless I think there is a scare for her safety then I will dive into it. Internet...again, if I feel concerned I will check. Right now she is 4 so she doesn't even care about privacy.
brittany208
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM

My DS is 3. He has privacy when he goes to the potty, but that's about the only time he is entitled to it.

TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I give them plenty of privacy...but I know my ways of checking on them too. Shhh...dont tell!

amyjane22
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

My kids aren't old enough for that, but I plan to monitor their use when they're older.

Laura3B
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Internet wise we make sure that we are friends with our children, and their friends too when it comes to social networking sites like instragram and facebook etc. They also know that we check their devices and computers regularly. They are only allowed to add people they actually know too.

We do also use a device called the Purity Box ( puritybox.com ) for when we can't be there to monitor them, it basically attaches to our existing Internet connection and blocks all the nasty stuff. We wanted something that was easy to install as we're not particularly that techy  :-) and something that worked on our children's iPad and computers etc without having to install any software!

It has been great and definitely reasures us that the our 3 kids are safe. We did look at Net Nanny but the price and having to install software put us off.

Miranda1127
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I think the internet is WAY to much responsibility for some adults. The kids get privacy, but we teach them that the internet (especially) and txt is not private period. IMO, this is a lesson EVERYONE needs to learn. Once you write it down, no matter what your intentions, it's no longer private. The only things that are private are things that can not be mass distributed. It's simply the way the world is nowadays. Soooo....we monitor internet/txt use. We will let up as they get older and prove they can use it responsible, but I'm fairly sure we will still monitor it in some way until they are 18.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement