Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Kids, Computers and Privacy: What do you think?

Posted by   + Show Post

In this digital age of parenting, the days of the little locked book under the mattress have by way of the scrunchie and Wham!. My kiddo doesn't use the computer yet, so the latest Mad Life video is a tough one for me, as it brings up the anxiety I already feel about all of the hurdles and issues I'll be facing in a short few years. 

I hear about kids on computers, and I think of the Dateline NBC "To Catch a Predator" series. I see teens on Facebook, and I think of my nieces and nephews posting pictures and statuses that make me wonder what their parents' are thinking as they spot them. I read stories about online bullying, and I ponder how I will handle it if my child is ever bullied via a text message. I know these are my parental worries...not necessarily what my kiddo will do or think of or have to face. But, to be brutally honest, it freaks me out.

Relationship ninja Ian brings up a good point: we need to give our kids space, yet be aware that are developing at one speed emotionally and at another speed cognitively. As I‘m a firm believer of GI Joe's mantra "Knowing is half the battle," I've read a lot of great hints about walking that tricky tightrope of computer privacy and kids. Yes, all of them were found (where else?) on the computer, natch.

-- Have the computer in a central, common space, especially when your kids are first learning about the internet and becoming comfortable with it. You can monitor their use by just being in the same room.

-- Have ground rules and go over them often. You know her passwords and reserve the right for "surprise checks" on the computer to see what she's been doing, but you don't read the texts on her phone or listen in on conversations.

-- Just like you have a smoke detector in your house and talk about fire satey, install safety software so your kids can't access certain sites and remind her to never give out personal information and other critical safety elements of computer use.

-- Keep that line of communication going. Talking about her life, knowing who her friends are, who she is texting and on Facebook with is essential in building trust and strengthening your relationship...so you don't have to "snoop."

By the way, there is a new, raw and interesting documentary that touches on elements of this whole online world subject we are discussing. It's called Sexy Baby, and it's about how our kids are navigating this cyber world, the images they see on it, and how our kids struggle defining their own online image on it as well. 

How do you handle privacy and your kids and the computer? Do you have rules about it? Share your experiences with us! 

©iStockphoto.com/ DNY59 

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-54):
slw123
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:08 AM

We have tight parental controls on the computer and the kids do not have the right to privacy.

cara124
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM

with teenagers DD's I have strict rules about computers and what is and isn't ok .... They are allowed the freedom of FB and other websites with the understanding that I have the passwords and it will be monitored ( never have had an issue ) ..... and they use computers daily for school work .... I feel that cyber space is just like "normal" life now so we have to teach kids to navigate that as well .... so teaching them to be good cyber space neighbors/people is just as important as teaching to be a good person ingeneral .

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM

We have child controls and only keep computers in an open space in the house.  No privacy.

HisSweetheart07
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM

kid's are only on approved sites. No hassles right now - they still don't know how to work the internet lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN