Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

What is your family's secret policy?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 85 Replies
2 moms liked this

We have a few rules in our house. No one is allowed to say "Shut up!"  No one is allowed to say, "You're stupid!" No one can slam doors. And no one keeps secrets. Period. These go for all of us. My husband and I made these rules years before Kiddo was born and we've kept them going ever since.

Right now, as she is a five-and-half-year-old (who is seemingly going on 12 extremely fast), this is working, but I know, eventually, she will have thoughts, moments, Life Stuff that she keeps from us. Nothing huge or important or vital to her safety or happiness, I hope. I remember as a kid, a tween, a teen not telling my parents every detail of my inner world or day-today. It is when we take control of our lives, it's part of growing up and evolving.

I get it...it gives me gray hairs to think about, but I get it. She will have her own world. I realize this, but I also think putting it out there that now and building a foundation that she can tell us anything is huge and goes a long way to helping her learn to make good choices and smart decision during those times when she isn't going to tell us everything.

Who else loveloveLOVED how Chuck tackled the question Relationship Ninja Ian lobbed at the panel? I've already sent the video link to my husband.

I'm curious: I have one kiddo...a girl. Is it different from boys and girls about sharing and secrets and all? Anyone out there with kids of both genders that can see a difference about sharing?

What do you think: do boys and girls share similarly with their parents? Differently? Weigh in about kids sharing secrets (and more).

©iStockphoto.com/ JVoisey

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gmadiane
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

my kids are grown and I have sons and daughters and I dont think there is a big difference

brownhoney21
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I don't know .I have two girls.

corrinacs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, I don't know about all of that.  There are just things that kids are too embarassed to talk about.  I don't want them to be forced totell me anything....but I do want to create an open environment so if something does happen, they feel that they are able to tell me.

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM

No name calling or hitting

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont know yet, mine are too young for secrets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 1 dd, she's not allowed to swear, keep secrets, I know I'll never know everything but I hope I know the important stuff going on in her life. My parents never knew what I was up too but then again rarely did they ask. I ask.

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I only have one 5 1/2 year old girl as well.

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM

i don't know. my son is 5 and my daughter is only 11 months.

KaylaMillar
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Mine are still too young for secrets. 

sukainah
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Mine are also too young for secrets.  I have boys though, ages 6 and 4

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)