Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Can Women Have it All? Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck had to say!

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently we asked you "Can Women Have it All?"

We wanted to know, if you thought it was possible for women to have it all and if you were striving to have it all.

Relationship expert Andrea Syrash joins the Mad Life panel to discuss this issue.

Do you think women are setting themselves up for failure to in an attempt to have it all?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Replies (21-30):
mem82
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I've never met a mom, myself included, that managed to have a very balanced and perfectly healthy life. If nothing else suffers, then it is usually one's health that is suffers from lack of sleep and pushing one's self to the limit.

Mommyfish831
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I agree with the first lady they asked.  What "all" is to one person is not the same as it is to another.  My husband works and I stay home.  We know we don't want anymore kids.  We plan to sell this house when are kids are getting into middle school and build our dream home.  We live on a small hourly wage that my husband makes but we live within our means comfortably and manage to save money too.  I'd never want him to trade his job to make more money because he has a wonderful boss who cares about him and his family and feels that his family is always more important than whatever is going on at work.  He takes time off for field trips with the kids or stay home with the others while I take one to the doctor.  He goes to the summer movies once a week with us in the summer too.  So I believe that I have it all, because its so much more than I had ever wished to have!!!

Dzyre1115
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Different women have a different idea of what, "all", is.  So you can definitely have it, "all", without neglecting anything.  Also, your idea of what, "all, is can change as you age.  What I wanted twenty years ago is not what I want today.  In my early twenties I wanted to stay home and take care of my son.  Then five years into that I wanted a job, then five years later I wanted a career, then another baby and so on, and so on.  You also change what your, "all", is based on your life circumstances.  I had a surprise baby and then became disabled, so now my, "all", has been redefined again.

kirbymom
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM

No. I don't think women can have it all. Something is going to get less attention than something else in the quest to have it all. You have to make sacrifices in order to have that Dream.  

dubes
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM
some can have it all
MsDenuninani
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this

At some point, "having it all" came to mean "not sacrificing anything"

That's silly.  You have to sacrifice, compromise, etc.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

There's nothing wrong with having priorities, and there's nothing wrong with allowing them to shift over time due to competing goals and interests. 

Personally, I have a career, and I have a family, and I'm grateful for them both.  I realized a long time ago that if I put a lot of pressure on myself to be "perfect" at both of them, I would just end up being miserable.  So I decided I would do my best to just be happy. . . which is a lot easier than trying to be perfect, honestly.

Mommyfish831
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You said it so well!  I'm a stay home mom and to do that we make a lot less but also save in not having to pay day care.  I worked for 11 months after my first was born and I didn't like it.  I loved the people I worked with, the job was ok but never my dream and I felt out of place.  We would love to get into our dream home but we realize that will take us a while to save for and that's ok with us because right now our kids school is just a few blocks away so maybe we will be where we want as far as saving by the time our kids are middle school age.  

Anyways I get blabby some times.  I mean to say I am so happy being home and we live comfortably with my husbands income although it is very small. We've cut out all unnessecary debt so that we can live comfortably. I believe I do have it all!  I am more happy with my life then I ever thought I would be.   

Quoting MsDenuninani:

At some point, "having it all" came to mean "not sacrificing anything"

That's silly.  You have to sacrifice, compromise, etc.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

There's nothing wrong with having priorities, and there's nothing wrong with allowing them to shift over time due to competing goals and interests. 

Personally, I have a career, and I have a family, and I'm grateful for them both.  I realized a long time ago that if I put a lot of pressure on myself to be "perfect" at both of them, I would just end up being miserable.  So I decided I would do my best to just be happy. . . which is a lot easier than trying to be perfect, honestly.

Friedma22
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM
it is exhausting to "have it all" - but hopefully!
mommyg97
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM
He'll yes!
ohmygodcyndi
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM
yes and they share too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement