Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Can Women Have it All? Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck had to say!

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently we asked you "Can Women Have it All?"

We wanted to know, if you thought it was possible for women to have it all and if you were striving to have it all.

Relationship expert Andrea Syrash joins the Mad Life panel to discuss this issue.

Do you think women are setting themselves up for failure to in an attempt to have it all?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Replies (31-40):
talkberry
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM
I don't think anyone can have it all regardless of the situation you will have to make sacrifices so something will always be without your best. I have been the stay at home mom who homeschooled as well as the working parent with kids in day care. Both were hard work but I will say that I thank God for the times my ex was able to make enough to provide for us and I could be home with my children.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jalestra
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I've said before I think that we've set ourselves up to fail. We're trying to be a traditional mom, a career person, and a wife. At some point each or several of those will interfere with another one. I think many women run themselves ragged, feeling guilt, etc instead of realizing that for every separate job we add to our list we split our focus. 

Is that having it all? I don't think so, if you're too focused you'll lose some of it in the end. I think we need to quit wanting to "have it all" and just take as much as we can handle and be happy with. It really depends on the family you want, the job you want, how high in the field you want to go, the kind of wife you want to be and if you find a husband that accepts that kind of a wife, whoever she is. But we all need to quit acting like we can be everything all the time, not going to happen. 

kailu1835
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Honestly, I don't think you can have it all.  Women who think they do are kidding themselves if they think that none of their very important jobs (being a mom, being a career gal) suffer.  You cannot devote all of your time and energy to either.

Serenity8310
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM
We are born sinners so how can Nyone be perfect.

Quoting chartier777:

Not all 100%. You will be neglecting some parts of it all. You will be neglecting kids, work, home or something of the "ALL" that you want. Also, when is all enough. You will always want something else. It will never be "all" in your mind. So when is All, all? I don't think you can have it all because all does not exist. It is like looking for perfect. Perfect does not exist.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I honestly think that No One can have it all. People who seem to have everything are still looking for something. Cripes, the guy who created McAfee antiviral software is taking bath salts. Don't tell me that he wasn't looking for something when he decided to try that.  Life is about making sacrifices and motherhood/parenthood is about making those sacrifices for the greater good, raising children who grow up into functional adults.  (Stop laughing! I know, functional is a loose word.)  My mom had great advice that she herself followed and that was to raise your kids with the adult in mind. I sometimes feel that wanting it all is an excuse to get away from some of the responsibility of raising kids. They don't need all the things you never had growing up and I know my kids don't need an I-Phone5.  Taking a step back and pondering what you really need in life is something we all need to do periodically.  How you felt yesterday about what you wanted isn't how you are going to feel tomorrow.  It's hard to sacrifice things, but as Spock said "The Needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the One."

mrsjonzy
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Yes we're setting ourselves up for failure. We can't have it all, no one can.

Gooberzilla
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I think anyone can "have it all" if that means you can have a happy successful life as YOU define it.  I would hate my life if I had to work 60+ hours a week.  Work does not equal fulfillment to me.  I do have a career that is meaningful and fulfilling to me and I can make a decent living working 3 days a week.  I also have a small child, a husband, several creative hobbies and the desire to have time to explore all those things.  I feel like I do "have it all" but I am not working towards a promotion in 5 years or wanting to run the company in 20 because I do not WANT those things.

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:36 AM

I don't think women can really have it all . . . at least not at once.  It's just impossible.

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:37 AM

How long have you been doing that?  I wish I could exist on only four hours of sleep.

Quoting tanishagreene:

Yes we can and I do. I strive on four hours of sleep. I work from 2am to 8am mon thru saturday at home. my dd is up at 8am I homeschool her for four hours a day. I clean while she naps for three hours. Dinner is ready when dh gets home. We have family time for the rest of the evening. Me and dh have our time late in the evening while dd is in her bed having her down time before she goes to sleep. I sleep from 9pm to 1:30pm get up get ready for work and do it all over again. Saturdays is all day family day and sunday is me and dh day alone. So in a nutshell I have it all. I work, homeschool, cook, clean, have individual time with dd and dh, and on mondays and fridays I have my time while dd goes to her play groups. What more is there for me to have.

LancesMom
by Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM
We can think we can, but until a woman can run for President and it not be made a joke of, or get equal pay in the workplace for the same job, I say no! We have come a long way (Baby) lol. And a lot of us feel we have all we need. But I say we need to see more equality in general. To feel we can!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)