Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How many "manly" things do you do?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 62 Replies

As I've mentioned in the many posts I've written here at CafeMom, we live in a tiny apartment in New York City. We have guys in the building who help when the bathtub isn't draining or if the AC starts leaking. For all of the usual "handy guy" things, we have a team of dudes to be handy for us, so my guy doesn't have to be handy.

He is handy though, yet, in some ways I am handier. Case in point, one of our front door locks had been jammed. For weeks, we both reminded each other about five times that "we need to tell the guys downstairs." Then one day, I just was looking t it and thought, "Hmmmmm, I think I know what's wrong." One screwdriver and 5 minutes later, the lock was fixed.

My guy? He was very impressed, but he's used to it. I take it on myself to take care of more "manly" things. Put together IKEA furniture? Check! Take out the trash? Check!  Just as he has many facets and many abilities, so do I...and he has a right to want me to have it both in me, just as I want him to be both sensitive and strong. 

Do I sometimes want him to do more of the manly things, mainly because other certain tasks fall to me (like packing the lunch and doing the homemade gifts for the teachers)? Sure. And he does (see yesterday's post where I list all of his manly attributes).  As society has evolved from 1950s mentality that women can only cook and clean, while men can only deal with the yard and earn the money, so have our relationships and the "standard" we all aspire and hold each other to be. We are both more complex and equal...and as a result, the "typical" responsibilities are a tad muddled.

And really, sometimes, we are both too tired to do whatever manly thing it is in question that needs to be done, so we leave it for tomorrow...and that's okay too.

Do you feel you could be "stronger"? Does you husband like it when you tackle some typically "manly" things?

©iStockphoto.com/ Manley099

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I have always been the better yard person and gardener. I have my own car serviced.

he is far more handy and mechanically oriented.

inmybizz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:51 AM

My husband id not handy(at all)I think he's a little surprised when i fix things around the house.

elasmimi
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:24 AM

I barely do "womanly things" anymore. The manliest I get is taking out the garbage, lol.

4kidz916
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a single mom so I do most of those manly chores myself.  

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM

put things together, move furniture around , I am the single mom for so long I usually don't ask for help

arpazia
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I hunt and fish. Lol

cara124
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I'm divorced so I've been learning over the last 4yrs to do "manly" things like mow the lawn , fix the toilet, I just recently installed a new door knob ( yahh me ! ) ... and I've purchased a new car all on my own LOL . So I have no idea if a man will like the new "manly" things I'm learning to do ... but I like them LOL .

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM
I did also, when I was a single parent.

Quoting 4kidz916:

I'm a single mom so I do most of those manly chores myself.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I fish but I won't even put the worm on the hook.

Quoting arpazia:

I hunt and fish. Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I use to tune up my own car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN