Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Why do resolutions rarely stick?

Posted by   + Show Post

It's a new year, the perfect time to start fresh and traditionally the time to make New Year's resolutions.

So many of us makes resolutions to lose weight, stop smoking  and we even promise ourselves to be kinder or more attentive to our family.
Unfortunately just can’t seem to make them stick.

Why do you think resolutions rarely stick?

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Replies (51-60):
Threes.Company
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I think part of it is that people take on too much, too soon... and then they get overwhelmed and throw in the towel completely.  You have to change things one baby step at a time.

tayanddyl
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM

People tend to make goals that are out of reach.  Start with an attainable goal and move up from there!

slw123
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM

People really aren't motivated enough.  If they were motivated they would set goals year round and follow through.

Charizma77
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I don't know, I never make them!
Sisteract
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Make it doable and attainable.
Sisteract
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM
It has to be a realistic goal. If you wear a size 22 and have never in your adult life worn a 2, you'll likely never reach a 2- aiming for a 12 would be more realistic.
chrissysnow22
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:42 AM
I think because change takes time and so often we want instant gratification.
heather4511
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I have always heard that people start too high with their resolutions making them unrealistic. I try not to make any resolutions and just make it a habit to do something daily to get me where i ultimately want to be.
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Too unrealstic. Being too vague. Not setting guidelines. Quitting when you slip just a bit instead of forgiving yourself and resarting.
Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:36 PM
We set them so high and expect so much. I lowered mine to just sticking to working out. I didn't set how much or how often. I just did mine to work out in general. I've been keeping it so far!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)