Homework time can often be a stressful experience for parents and their kids. Whether you are dealing with excessive amounts of homework assigned or kids who drag their feet about getting homework done, today's challenge is to develop a plan to help take the stress out of homework.
Here are some tips for helping your kids get their homework done:
- Find a consistent time that works well for you and your kids. Some kids may need to do homework as soon as they get home, others may need some time to unwind first. Be sure to select a time when you can supervise or lend a helping hand if needed.
- Create the right environment. Distractions prevent concentration so set your child up somewhere that has good light and not a lot of noise.
- Help your child get organized. Before your child gets started with their homework make sure they have all the materials and items they need.
- Be a coach. Help your child develop a positive approach to completing their homework. Be sure to make your child aware of their improvement and praise their achievement.
- Make it fun. Homework doesn't have to be a struggle or a fight. Help make homework fun by doing math games or help with memorization by turning spelling words into a jingle.
Do your kids have a daily routine when it comes to doing their homework? Tell us when and where they usually do their homework? Do you have any tips to add for making homework less stressful?