Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Mad Life Challenge Day 6: Take the Stress out of Homework

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM
  • 67 Replies

Homework time can often be a stressful experience for parents and their kids. Whether you are dealing with excessive amounts of homework assigned or kids who drag their feet about getting homework done, today's challenge is to develop a plan to help take the stress out of homework.

Here are some tips for helping your kids get their homework done:

• Find a consistent time that works well for you and your kids. Some kids may need to do homework as soon as they get home, others may need some time to unwind first. Be sure to select a time when you can supervise or lend a helping hand if needed.

• Create the right environment. Distractions prevent concentration so set your child up somewhere that has good light and not a lot of noise.

• Help your child get organized. Before your child gets started with their homework make sure they have all the materials and items they need.

• Be a coach. Help your child develop a positive approach to completing their homework. Be sure to make your child aware of their improvement and praise their achievement.

• Make it fun. Homework doesn't have to be a struggle or a fight. Help make homework fun by doing math games or help with memorization by turning spelling words into a jingle.

writing

Do your kids have a daily routine when it comes to doing their homework? Tell us when and where they usually do their homework? Do you have any tips to add for making homework less stressful?

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it hereIf you haven't signed up for the Mad Life Challenge yet, you can do so here!

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wynn0809
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Not old enough for homework yet here..but we will for sure! I was a teacher and know the importance of it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM
No homework here yet!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM

We do it daily right before dinner and we all are in the kitchen and I cook while they do their homework.  That way it is out of the way and we can enjoy the rest of the evening together. 

MistressMinerva
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM

My daughter always did her homework as soon as she got home if she had any homework so that way she can spend the rest of the night playing with her friends or whatever she wanted.

Babujai
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Soon as the kids get home from school they change their clothes (out of their uniforms) and then get to the table to work on homework while I cook dinner.  While I'm cooking I can help them out and check work. 

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Yes we do. After the kids come home from school they have a snack & then sit down at the dinning table and get homework done before doing anything. 

bafamily
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Monday and Wednesday the first thing they do is their homework unless they have already done it on the bus.  Tuesdays and Thursdays they go to gymnastics and then its homework then dinner depending on if I made dinner already.  They have to do it at the kitchen table where they can't see the TV.  If I can't help them their papa can.

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Our routine was easy.  As soon as the kids came in they would get something to drink and then pull all of their school work out and sit at the bar area in the kitchen where I would be there to help if they needed it while making dinner.  It was a good bonding time and a good time to help them if needed.  We actually would have a lot of fun.  They were glad to have their night completely free too.  :)

4kidz916
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I hate the daily homework routine but we do have one and it seems to work.

MrsRobinson06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM
My daughter gets a packet on monday thats due back on friday. We spend each evening working on a little bit at a time before its due.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)