Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Help! I need your tips on tackling the scramble!

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this

The scramble. The juggle. Mad Life...it goes by many different names but doesn't matter what you call it, the majority of us are living it (hopefully today, we are all taking the time away from it and enjoying the merry merry hohos!?). But think about it: the constant speed for many of us is "rush mode." Every mom I talk with says a similar thing: "We are always on the go - when do we ever get some downtime?" Soccer games, homework, piano lessons, work projects, deadlines, birthdays, holidays...it is never-ending.

Which is something we can rationally say, "Hey! It is too much...there will always be something, so SLOW DOWN!" But we never do, for some reason. Do all of the things we are doing bring us happiness? Eh, I'm not so sure, but some we have to do, I know. Ilike what Joanie says, how we need to be at work when we are at work, but when we are at home or doing something else, be doing THAT.

Among his many jobs, my husband teaches acting. There is a huge part of his work that involves getting his students to remember to "stay in the moment," to not think about what they should do in the scene, but to react in the moment, in the here and the now. This is something that I try to remember in my daily scramble, and something that I try to teach my kiddo. Even if our day is jammed, be present and focus and take deep breaths in what you are doing in that.one.moment.

But this all doesn't change the fact that we are all overbooked. I've tried more and more to work into our calendar some scheduled downtime, even if it is just two hours on the weekend where we do nothing. But I still feel rushed a lot of the time, feel I may be missing moments. 

What do you do? How is your scramble...and how do you tackle it? Share your tips!

©iStockphoto.com/hidesy 

by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandbuster
by Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I try to take 10 minutes in the morning before we leave that is just my time. Then at night I try to make sure we do bible study and read every night, that is "our time" as a family. 

bwsmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

we try to follow a routine .. granted during the school year its a bit more hectic .. summer makes life easier for us though ..

inmybizz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM

say no/don't over book

write things down more- I have a bad habit of thinking i can remember things, and i can't. I end up scheduling things too close together

ask for help- allow my husband to step in and take over some of the things. 

momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Wednesday at 10:42 PM
by Gold Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I take  long hot baths or a bike ride.I love biking.It brings back memories of when I was a kid plus the fresh air is great

4kidz916
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I try not to fill our calendar so full, of course sometimes it's unavoidable, but I still make sure we have our family time on Friday or Saturday nights. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM

We like routine in our home.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Routine!

ceciliam
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I'm very careful not to take on too much. When you over extend yourself, you end up not enjoying what you are doing.

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM

It really isn't crazy yet in our house. Perhaps because our boys are only almost 6 & 4.  So we get family time pretty much every day.

Not over scheduling is probably the key.  Making sure you really want to be doing everything you are.

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I try not to have to much going on at once. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)