Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Reflecting on our image-obsession (yes, pun intended)

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this

Vanity. As defined in (where else?) the dictionary: "excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance or achievements." I believe we are definitely living in a culture that perpetuates self-obsession and an overemphasis on image. Think of those that are the most rewarded in our culture, who we see on those magazine covers in the checkout aisle. They are all, most often, the "pretty" people.

When we see them, yup, it makes us reflect on how we measure up, and we often become fixated on that. Just look at Facebook. Statuses about what we are doing, what our kids are doing, sharing articles, information about our lives that we think you should -- literally -- "Like."

And let's not forget about those photos. How many of us try to find pictures of our kids (or ourselves) that are the "prettiest" ones? I admit it, I do. I don't want my husband posting a photo of me at my not-so-hottest. Are some of these statuses regular, just letting folks know what is going on? Sure, but c'mon, we all want folks to "like" what we say, to validate what we put out there, to agree your kids are awesome...it goes back to us, to ourselves.

The crazy part? It is all in our heads. We have control over these self-image thoughts (the good, the bad, the over-inflated)...but how many of us continue those internal convos, that are often unhealthy and never lead to anywhere positive?

I read somewhere a good test on this whole thing about self-image is examining how you take a compliment. Do you deflect it? Make excuses, like "Oh, this old thing?" when someone says that sweater is pretty. Or do you go on and on about how you made the wardrobe choice, carrying on well beyond the intended nicety. Me? I often deflect, make an excuse like it was a big bargain or something like that. Hmm, what does that say about my self-image, huh? Maybe I need to try, the next time, to just say thank you, feel good and move on. 

How is your self-image? Do you take compliments well? Do you feel our society is image-obsessed? Does it make you feel good when you get many Likes on a Facebook photo or status?

©iStockphoto.com/mattjeacock 

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM

"excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance or achievements."

Depends on how one defines pride. It can be based on merit or need.

slightlyperfect

VintageWife
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Of course we are image obsessed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sukainah
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM

My self image is not so great but I do some of the things you spoke of so yes, I guess I am image obsessed LOL

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM

My self image is neg.I think I am too fat,ugly. I have never thought of myself as beautiful

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I don't care about Facebook so I have no opinion there. I feel I have a good self image.

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:24 AM
My self image is getting better. Im losing baby weight and feeling better about being a sahm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:25 AM
And i dont post alot on fb, nor do i care about who likes my photos.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:29 AM

my self image is ok, I have hit an age where what others think of me is not important anymore so if someone does not like me on facebook I could care less

elasmimi
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I have not let anyone take my picture in year, til dh reminded me that the younger great grandkids would have nothing to remind them of me. I still cringe, and make him delete the worst ones, but I do allow some now.

elasmimi
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:31 AM

And yes, we are image obsessed as a society. How can we not be, when anorexic models and tiny, beautiful future queens are our idols.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)