Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Do you count calories?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM
  • 24 Replies

Calories – To Count or Not to Count

Is it possible to look the way you want without relying on a food scale? For the large majority of us, yes, it is absolutely possible. Unless you’re trying to get freaky-shredded, I don’t think calorie counting is by any means necessary. Some, however, may find this a useful tool to accurately move along.

What initially started out as an article to explain the reasons behind why I personally choose to count calories turned into a piece that presents both sides of the argument. The following lists are not exhaustive, but I believe I’ve hit the main points for and against calorie counting. Keep in mind that I speak from personal experience. If I would have known what I know now, I would not have been counting calories years ago.

The Case Against Counting Calories

Numbers paralyze you.

Back in 2008, I wasted many hours hemming and hawing over exactly how many grams of each macronutrient to consume. I’d decide on one ratio only to come back the next day having decided that I wasn’t eating enough fats, and I’d completely overhaul my numbers. 120g or 140g protein? Was a 40/30/30 split the best? Maybe it should be 40/40/20? I’d visit numerous fitness forums to get an idea of what everyone else was doing, thinking that I would just copy them.

Add to that, I was keeping track of my bodyweight, my body measurements, and the weights I was pushing and pulling in the gym. Oh yeah, and those math classes I was taking… there were a lot of numbers to juggle. I overwhelmed myself to the point of paralysis by analysis. I would have been better off not worrying about every morsel that made its way into my mouth.

Numbers stress you out and make you panic.

When I first learned about “clean eating” (very thankful I made it out of that one alive!) I was a slave to my food. I remember one night, I had just made my last meal: sweetened eggwhite pancake with a smidge (seriously, it was 10g) of almond butter on the side. As I held my fork up to dig in, my brother walked by and stopped when he saw my food. “What’s that? Looks good,” he said, intrigued, as he reached out his hand. I instinctively smacked him and growled, “Get away – you’re messing up my macros!” I was so concerned that his taking a bite of my carefully prepared meal would pull me 30 calories away from my day’s totals that I wouldn’t even so much as let him try a nibble. Yes, it was ridiculous of me to behave in that manner, but of course I didn’t see it then. I became a food hog. I stopped sharing my food and snapped at anyone who so much as looked at my meals.

And when I went out to eat, I’d break out in a sweat. Okay, now I don’t know all of the exact ingredients that went into this soup. I’d scrutinize the plate of steamed broccoli I had just ordered, convinced that I could spot specks of oil. I’d turn down foods my friends had made, no matter how special the occasion. My macros, my macros! I wasn’t able to enjoy the time with my loved ones as I’d lost sight of what was really important in my life. Eating out resulted in my becoming grumpy, quiet, and all-too-entirely consumed with the fact that I couldn’t control every last bit of my diet that day.

You’re a hardgainer – just eat, damnit!

How many calories should you be eating if you’re 6’0” and weigh a whopping 140lbs when soaking wet? The answer: a lot. A lot more than you’re eating now. Put away the silly food scale, quit the calorie counter program you have opened up, and chug some juice. drink whole milk. Eat breakfast. Chow down around the clock. Hungry? Good, then eat. Not hungry? Too bad – keep eating. This is a classic case in which debating over your macronutrient breakdown is a waste of your energy. Guess what? During the time you spent thinking about this, you could have downed a glass of milk. Melk. Malk. Mulk?

You are very in tune with your body’s needs.

What’s become of the US population nowadays? Millions of individuals have stopped listening to their bodies and have taken to double-fisting greasy burgers. Mindless eating has become such a universal habit that we now expect to have a snack to chow down on when we sit in front of the TV. If the first thing you do when you return home from a long day at work is raid the kitchen cabinets and inhale those Oreos straight out of the bag, we have a problem. Does your body really need all that sugar? Probably not.

The ability to pay close attention to your body’s signals and honor those indications is no longer the norm. Remember when people used to eat only when they were actually hungry and stop when they were sufficiently satiated? Yeah, I don’t either.

But if this is you – if you are able to successfully practice mindful eating and stay healthy – then I applaud you. You are the minority.

You’re just not interested.

I’m not here to push you to do anything that you simply have zero interest in. Many of you will feel this way, and I can completely understand why. Counting calories takes a bit of work, and many of you simply want to be healthy. There are a multitude of reasons not to count calories. If you’re not interested, that’s totally cool.

The Case For Counting Calories

I will otherwise undereat.

It’s the type-A personality in me. I will freak out about how much I’m eating and cut, cut, cut away at my food. If I’m constantly eyeballing my portions, I’ve found that I will tend to overestimate how much food is actually on my plate. “Just to be safe,” I’ll tell myself.

And “just to be safe,” I’ll skip a meal, omit carbohydrates, and trim away the excess fat on my steak. Soon I’ll be eating nothing but protein and veggies, and coffee will become its own food group.

I will otherwise overeat.

The mind is a tricky thing; we as humans are irrational by nature. The body doesn’t like to be underfed and will go to great lengths to convince us that face-planting into that dessert is a great idea.

Food should never be used as a reward – and yet this is the foundation upon which many of us have been raised. And now, as adults, the thinking has become, “I’ve had a long, hard day and I’ve done a lot of good things, therefore I deserve that jelly donut. Okay, three jelly donuts. Oops, I guess I deserve six, actually.” Oops is right.

If I’m not counting calories, there will eventually come a day when I start to think that I haven’t been eating much, and I will then overcompensate.

Yes, it’s ironic.

Undereat, undereat, undereat, overeat, undereat, undereat, undereat, overeat.

Do we see a pattern here? Looks a little too eerily like starve, binge, starve, binge to me. And I’m not having that anymore.

I find security in numbers.

As a small female, the difference of a mere few hundred calories is enough to determine whether or not I actually make progress. Given my voracious appetite, it’s too easy for me to pound down half my day’s calories in one sitting. I’m kind of a bottomless pit in that way.

I will say this: I’m not afraid to eat. I’m really not. My main concern is optimizing my nutrition to ensure that I’m eating enough, but not to the point of accidental weight gain. Yes, I will almost always choose diet soda over regular – but that’s not because I’m trying to avoid those calories. Rather, I’d much prefer that those calories be filled by some other, preferably whole food. Think of it like this: say I have 1800 calories to deposit in my metaphorical bank. I will deposit mostly wholesome meats and veggies with a little bit of “fun” junk food. When I can, I will opt for the calorie-free option of anything, because that just means that I will have that many more calories left to deposit real food. I want the quality stuff to actually count.

It’s tricky for me to strike that balance between eating at a deficit to allow for steady progress yet not too large of a deficit that my body goes haywire without keeping track of my intake. If I’m not capitalizing on my nutrition and I’m still lifting weights, the workouts are mostly just a waste of time. Why would I put myself on a training program geared toward fat loss if I’m not actually following a fat loss diet plan?

So Which Are You?

I don’t know if there are many people who would see more benefit than not from counting calories over the long run. For me, what was once crippling and a source of stress has now become completely natural. I don’t freak out about my food anymore. In fact, food is hardly ever on my mind. This evolution from unhealthily preoccupied to non-obsessed and calm is what has allowed me to continue this practice.

This is a both a mindset issue as well as a practicality issue. Ask yourself: Are you able to eat the right amount of wholesome, healthy foods without pulling out the food scale and still feel calm? Are you in control of the food, or is the food controlling you? It’s much easier to take on the upper hand when you’re not constantly wondering how many grams of fat you just swallowed. Additionally, are you able to do this without disrupting your life? If you can seamlessly work calorie counting into your day-to-day life, then that’s great. If not, take some time to consider whether this is really that much of a priority to you. Remember, you don’t need to count calories to make progress.

I don’t think that calorie counting is for everyone; in fact, I think that most people would be better off not doing so. I want to stress that just because somebody you know or look up to is practicing one thing, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you need to be doing the same. You need to find what approach works for you.

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidensmomma508
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM
No
wandep
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

No, I am on weight watchers.

KaylaMillar
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I do count calories. Its helped me lose the weight that i have lost. 

Kmakksmom
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Not so much, no.

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I don't.

mom2aspclboy
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:22 PM

No, I don't count calories. I do, however, pay attention to the amount of fat, fiber, and protein that I take in each day, because keeping these properly balanced is important for my health.

hugss
Take some *Time Out for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:43 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I do a mental count as it helps me maintain my weight :)

ceciliam
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Not really.

abra
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I dont at all. I just make sure I am eating foods that havent been processed for 90% of the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM

No

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement