Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Ask Joanie: Is Divorce Ever Good for Kids? SWEEPS WINNER ANNOUNCED

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 258 Replies
6 moms liked this

Congratulations to our mom, aneela, for winning the sweepstakes!  

The Mad Life Panel tackles a tough question: Is divorce ever good for kids?

We're thrilled that Mad Life's very own Joanie Robach, will be joining us in the group to answer YOUR questions on this important topic, and to share her personal observations and experiences!

Check out the Mad Life episode below, then ask Joanie your questions.  Joanie will be joining us next week to share her answers!  Every member who submits a question in the replies below will be entered to win a $50 Target gift card!

Thanks for joining us, Joanie!

Click to learn more about Mad Life panelist, Joanie Robach.

Joanie's answers begin HERE

Giveaway rules:

• The Ask Joanie giveaway starts 1/7/13 at 12pm (ET) and ends 1/20/2013 at midnight (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a $50 gift card to Target.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 1/21/13.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wannabgypsy
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this
it depends if its physical and even verbal and emotional can NOT be a positive enviroment for the kiddos so it has to be the parents choice and most of us already know if we have to ask!!!
abra
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM
12 moms liked this
I think a big part of the problem (and Chuck mentioned this and Joanie seemed to agree) is that if a couple is actually able to co-parent well after their divorce, then a divorce is unnecessary in the first place. One of the greatest misconceptions about love is that if it doesn't come easily, it isn't true love. I came from a divorced home. My parents had 6 kids and then divorced after 29 years. Personally, I have been married for 8 1/2, and monogamous with my DH for 11 years. The biggest thing marriage has taught me is that a good marriage is work. The more you put into your marriage together, the better your marriage is. Nothing worth having in this world comes easily. I do think a lot of people enter into marriage casually (using divorce as a plan b if the marriage doesn't work out) which is a mistake. You are much less likely to work through a situation if you have one foot out the door. Be serious. Commit to your relationship. Do everything in your power to make your marriage work. True love is willing to work at your relationship.

Divorce is hard on kids no matter how old they are or what the reasons behind it are! Divorce should always be the final defeat after attempting every other avenue to preserve and strengthen the marriage.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this!  Also, I don't think divorce is ever easy for kids but how well they do afterwards has a lot to do with how the parents treat each other!

Quoting abra:

I think a big part of the problem (and Chuck mentioned this and Joanie seemed to agree) is that if a couple is actually able to co-parent well after their divorce, then a divorce is unnecessary in the first place. One of the greatest misconceptions about love is that if it doesn't come easily, it isn't true love. I came from a divorced home. My parents had 6 kids and then divorced after 29 years. Personally, I have been married for 8 1/2, and monogamous with my DH for 11 years. The biggest thing marriage has taught me is that a good marriage is work. The more you put into your marriage together, the better your marriage is. Nothing worth having in this world comes easily. I do think a lot of people enter into marriage casually (using divorce as a plan b if the marriage doesn't work out) which is a mistake. You are much less likely to work through a situation if you have one foot out the door. Be serious. Commit to your relationship. Do everything in your power to make your marriage work. True love is willing to work at your relationship.

Divorce is hard on kids no matter how old they are or what the reasons behind it are! Divorce should always be the final defeat after attempting every other avenue to preserve and strengthen the marriage.

Margaret

inmybizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM

It depends on the home situation, but divorce could be the best thing for the child.

My question-what are some things that can be done to reassure a child that everything will be okay even though the parents are divorcing?

copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM
3 moms liked this
I think divorce is not the end of the world. As long as the child knows they are loved by both parents and can see them get along then the child will do a better job of adjusting to it. :)
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I obviously think that parents should try to stay together, but only if they can find a way to be happy. If you are unhappy or there is abuse involved I don't think it's healthy for the children to see that type of relationship.
aidensmomma508
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM
I think if they have open communication and love from both parents it's better then kids being around fighting parents
aidensmomma508
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Joanie Is there a way to support other family members kids whose parents are going through a divorce and how do you without butting in?

MsBlueBelle
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I grew up in a 'blended' family and it was proof positive that I did not want to marry into one or ever be part of one.
slw123
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, if they live with parents that are always fighting, they are better off being separated.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)