Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Ask Joanie: Is Divorce Ever Good for Kids? SWEEPS WINNER ANNOUNCED

Posted by   + Show Post

Congratulations to our mom, aneela, for winning the sweepstakes!  

The Mad Life Panel tackles a tough question: Is divorce ever good for kids?

We're thrilled that Mad Life's very own Joanie Robach, will be joining us in the group to answer YOUR questions on this important topic, and to share her personal observations and experiences!

Check out the Mad Life episode below, then ask Joanie your questions.  Joanie will be joining us next week to share her answers!  Every member who submits a question in the replies below will be entered to win a $50 Target gift card!

Thanks for joining us, Joanie!

Click to learn more about Mad Life panelist, Joanie Robach.

Joanie's answers begin HERE

Giveaway rules:

• The Ask Joanie giveaway starts 1/7/13 at 12pm (ET) and ends 1/20/2013 at midnight (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a $50 gift card to Target.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 1/21/13.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Replies (221-230):
ShugarD
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I feel that divorce can protect the children involved if there is any physical or emotional abuse. I wouldn't even say that the most important thing would be divorce because divorce is a piece of paper. The parents can seperate and do what is needed to be done in the best intrests of the children and the adults involved in the marriage. Children never want their parents to get divorced. They are children and don't always know or understand what is going on between the parents due to the parents shielding them from the truth of things. When they get older the parents have time to sit them down and expalin things to them about why they seperated/ divorced. I feel that the older the kids are the more that they can understand and see why it was best for the parents and for them too. 

elliotmommytobe
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I think if the parents are bad enough off together and the children know that mommy and daddy love them very much and its not their fault then yea it can be beneficial.. I mean hey more christmas/bday presents
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kathyartist2007
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Divorce is always hell on children - especially in their formative years around 8 to 14. It devistates them no matter what.

KrissyKC
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I would only divorce if he was abusive, so he shouldn't be around the kids unsupervised anyway if he's abusive.  

rojastarr
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

My children told me that my divorce was better than my staying. My ex and I were able to maintain a friendly relationship once we were no longer a couple. We worked together to be good parents for our kids. The problem comes when the parents do not work together and use the kids as a weapon or try to alienate them from the other parent.

rusty2rusty
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Yes, divorce can be a good thing for kids. I was shot and disabled by my ex husband. If I did not leave him. I would be dead. Voilence is a very good reason for divorce. I would hate to think my daughter or sons thoutght it was okay to abuse someoen they love. Or allow someone to abuse them because of what they saw happen to me.

Quoting Cafe Naomi:: Is divorce ever good for kids?
BeanieBlue
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I agree that divorce can be a good thing for kids. I'm living proof.

My parents were divorced when I was 8 years old and once I realized we'd still see Dad...I was actually relieved.

My parents would just SCREEEEEAM at each other when they fought...to the point where I had to REPEATEDLY slam my bedroom door over and over again until they actually NOTICED and shut up :-(

It was hell.

**edited to correct spelling**

jmnewmommy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Yes, sometimes it is a good thing. I have always believed that if you and your spouse can not love eachother the way spouses should, and you can not reconcile differences, then you are being a bad example of what marriage should be like to your children. Everyone deserves to be happy, and all children deserve to see their parents happy so they know they deserve that also.

sjababy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I think can be if abuse or constant fighing  involved.  I live it now way too often. Sad , him not caring if we ever marry contributes to me not letting much of his lip service slide.  I know I need to go I know. Will be hard I am sure but this is too. Have been a stepmom before and it's not fun.

Molly2u
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I am not divorced and married since 40 plus years. Marrage is about both parties working things out together and giving room to each others. Yes, you can argue with each other, but as long as can forget what you argued about by night fall. Communication in marriage not be taught it has come from within. 

One of my adult kids only saw the negative side of our life. Had we been divorced she would have had a valid excuse that our divorce hurt her. 

How our kids grow up is not only the parents fault. The society around us has a  strong grip on our children and then there is mental illness, stress, and anxiety the young adults have that's not being recognized. It's always easier to blame parents. 

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN