Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Where is your biggest privacy issue: online or in the potty?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

We were over at a friend's house, and my mommy bud had just got a new smart phone (her old one had been cracked for a year). The whiz at the store had accidentally linked up her and her hubby's text messages (they had a family plan, but still not sure exactly how the dude did this). So, her husband was trying to separate the accounts, so he wouldn't get all of her texts (many from yours truly). At one point, we all joked about how this would be really bad if either of them were having an affair...we laughed, knowing it wasn't true...but it brought to the table the whole issue of privacy and spouses.

There are soooooo many ways we are separate, my husband and me -- separate email accounts, Facebook, twitter, texts, cell phones...we really lead separate "technological lives." And you can have a plethora of all of these things like Chuck said...which means many opportunities to hide (and snoop) and lines where privacy can be crossed. When is it "okay" to be private and when do you share?

I mean, is there is an unwritten rule that you could look at your spouse's email or texts...but you don't out of that huge thing called trust? I think that is the way my husband and I work through it. We could if we wanted to, but don't, as we trust each other and do not feel the need to pry. That's how we kind of steer the privacy boat in our abode. I admit, though,I have looked at my husband's email (the horror!) -- because it was left open, and I had to send pictures of the kiddo from his computer to mine. But I've never checked his phone even though I know I could if I wanted to...

Yet I have walked in on him going to the bathroom. Many times, more than I could count.Ah, the bathroom. An arena where my family has no "walls" as Dr. Ian put it. Do you do "your business" (poop? wax? floss? pluck?) in front of your spouse or do you keep the door shut? 

Soooooo many different privacy issues...what privacy issues do you and your spouse deal with? Email? Phones? Bathroom? 

©iStockphoto.com/ benoitb

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:59 AM

The bathroom.It never fails I take a bath and someone bothers me

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:14 AM

my dh and i are kind of like yours. we could check each others accounts but I don't because i trust him and he doesn't because he trusts me. I need privacy while I'm using the bathroom though. At least from everone but my kids. I just can't get away from them even for a bathroom break. lol

elasmimi
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Internet and phone are not an issue for either of us; we have nothing to hide. Bathroom is not an issue for him, but it is for me; I don't "go" in front of anyone. Once I was in the hospital for a procedure, and had to have a catheter. He laughed and said "After 30 years of marriage, this is the first time I've ever seen you pee"

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Bathroom def., LOL.

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:43 AM

The bathroom is completely private. We don't want to see each other pee & poop! We could look at each others phone & computer but don't generally since we trust each other.

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM

always the bathroom

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Bathroom, if the door is closed... Don't open it!! 

blueeyes2000
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Online or phones can cause issues. My hubby wants complete privacy when it comes to his online accounts or his phone. I have no problem sharing whatever but he's the complete opposite. I don't have a reason to not trust him it's just sometimes he's on his phone a lot when he should be spending time with me and his son.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM

We don't have texting or web on our phones, so there's nothing to look at there.  I set up DH's facebook and email accounts, so I can look at them at any time, but I don't.  Occasionally, I'll go into Facebook on his computer, so he can then see my page, etc. if he wants.  I have no issue with it at all.

Yes, we are in the bathroom together often.  We only have 1 full bath in the house.  The other bath is in the basement, so it's not convenient.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Ahh I guess we don't have an privacy issues. I also lock the bathroom door when I'm in there. That's my me time lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)