Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Where is your biggest privacy issue: online or in the potty?

Posted by   + Show Post

We were over at a friend's house, and my mommy bud had just got a new smart phone (her old one had been cracked for a year). The whiz at the store had accidentally linked up her and her hubby's text messages (they had a family plan, but still not sure exactly how the dude did this). So, her husband was trying to separate the accounts, so he wouldn't get all of her texts (many from yours truly). At one point, we all joked about how this would be really bad if either of them were having an affair...we laughed, knowing it wasn't true...but it brought to the table the whole issue of privacy and spouses.

There are soooooo many ways we are separate, my husband and me -- separate email accounts, Facebook, twitter, texts, cell phones...we really lead separate "technological lives." And you can have a plethora of all of these things like Chuck said...which means many opportunities to hide (and snoop) and lines where privacy can be crossed. When is it "okay" to be private and when do you share?

I mean, is there is an unwritten rule that you could look at your spouse's email or texts...but you don't out of that huge thing called trust? I think that is the way my husband and I work through it. We could if we wanted to, but don't, as we trust each other and do not feel the need to pry. That's how we kind of steer the privacy boat in our abode. I admit, though,I have looked at my husband's email (the horror!) -- because it was left open, and I had to send pictures of the kiddo from his computer to mine. But I've never checked his phone even though I know I could if I wanted to...

Yet I have walked in on him going to the bathroom. Many times, more than I could count.Ah, the bathroom. An arena where my family has no "walls" as Dr. Ian put it. Do you do "your business" (poop? wax? floss? pluck?) in front of your spouse or do you keep the door shut? 

Soooooo many different privacy issues...what privacy issues do you and your spouse deal with? Email? Phones? Bathroom? 

©iStockphoto.com/ benoitb

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM

We don't have an issue with phone or email,potty is a different story .I need my privacy and he is the same way.

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I prefer to have privacy in the bathroom but many times he follows me right in talking to me and I have to ask for a minute alone. My 4yr old daughter thinks she needs to always join me in the bathroom. 

Threes.Company
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I don't look at his email or texts unless he asks me to look at something.  That is his personal space.

We did not have bowel movements in front of each other, no.  That is gross.  That's personal.  Doors closed and locked.

Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Dh has no facebook, or email. He uses mine if he wants to. If there is something I write to a friend, like a vent, I simply delete it after im done writting it. Other then that, I am pretty open with everything with him. now pooping, he cant stand being walked in on.

wandep
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM

No privacy issues here for us. We don't mind each other coming in the bathroom either. :)

Charizma77
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM

He's funny about the bathroom,. I'm not. No issues with privacy with either bathroom or Internet with me.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I like my email and calls to be private, but in the end it isn't a strong like or dislike with me. But I do want bathroom privacy.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:51 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Pretty lucky here,
No real issues at all :)

timon95
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM

yup! i can't enjoy a bath without dd walking in on me. the darn dog follows me everywhere, she can run in the door faster than i can close it.

Quoting momofsixangels:

The bathroom.It never fails I take a bath and someone bothers me

family car

Bob192
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM

My husband and I don't really have those issues.  My kids on the other hand are a whole different story!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN