Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Where is your biggest privacy issue: online or in the potty?

Posted by   + Show Post

We were over at a friend's house, and my mommy bud had just got a new smart phone (her old one had been cracked for a year). The whiz at the store had accidentally linked up her and her hubby's text messages (they had a family plan, but still not sure exactly how the dude did this). So, her husband was trying to separate the accounts, so he wouldn't get all of her texts (many from yours truly). At one point, we all joked about how this would be really bad if either of them were having an affair...we laughed, knowing it wasn't true...but it brought to the table the whole issue of privacy and spouses.

There are soooooo many ways we are separate, my husband and me -- separate email accounts, Facebook, twitter, texts, cell phones...we really lead separate "technological lives." And you can have a plethora of all of these things like Chuck said...which means many opportunities to hide (and snoop) and lines where privacy can be crossed. When is it "okay" to be private and when do you share?

I mean, is there is an unwritten rule that you could look at your spouse's email or texts...but you don't out of that huge thing called trust? I think that is the way my husband and I work through it. We could if we wanted to, but don't, as we trust each other and do not feel the need to pry. That's how we kind of steer the privacy boat in our abode. I admit, though,I have looked at my husband's email (the horror!) -- because it was left open, and I had to send pictures of the kiddo from his computer to mine. But I've never checked his phone even though I know I could if I wanted to...

Yet I have walked in on him going to the bathroom. Many times, more than I could count.Ah, the bathroom. An arena where my family has no "walls" as Dr. Ian put it. Do you do "your business" (poop? wax? floss? pluck?) in front of your spouse or do you keep the door shut? 

Soooooo many different privacy issues...what privacy issues do you and your spouse deal with? Email? Phones? Bathroom? 

©iStockphoto.com/ benoitb

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Kmakksmom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Usually the bathroom.  Everyone wants to come in as soon as I lock the door.

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:49 AM

We don't really have any. We share most accounts. We share the bathroom also.

4kidz916
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Same here.  Especially if I'm trying to relax in a bubble bath.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Usually the bathroom.  Everyone wants to come in as soon as I lock the door.

MrsAmyLynn83
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM
We have access to each others email, facebook, texts And phones. No trust issues at all.

Peeing is open door, pooping is closed door in this house! lol......
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Now the kiddo is getting older I don't have that issue with the bathroom just now it is the puppy

sukainah
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I keep the door shut in the bathroom and so does my husband.  It's the kids I don't have privacy from in the bathroom. LOL

aneela
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM

bathroom lol

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM

My privacy issues are with a very curious and super smart 4-year-old girl.

slightlyperfect

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

DH and I share email accounts and he doesn't have facebook so if he wants to communicate with somebody through it he has me do it through my account.  We trust each other completely but we don't really feel the need to have a million seperate accounts and such. 

As for the bathroom, we try to stay out if the other is in there but with three kids and a small house it doesn't always work that way.  We are fine with it though. 

chrissysnow22
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM
My dh always reads my text messages. Early in in the relationship I used to hid them because of his jealousy, and anger but that only made things worse. I eventually stopped and let him read them. I made him do anger management before we got married because he had gotten suffocating. I then realized it was his insecurity that I would leave that caused him to be jealous and act out.
That was about 5 years ago. Now he looks because he has nothing better to do lol

He goes to the bathroom and leaves the door open ewww I hate it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN