Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Do you have the same hobbies as your husband?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies

So, we've been chatting about privacy and spouses. Which begs the questions: what is something you do that you don't share with your spouse? Now, I'm not asking about that fantasy you have about the little league coach or the time you bought that purse and snuck it in the house and into the closet without him looking. I'm talking about like a hobby you have, an interest, a passion that he maybe knows about...but just doesn't share.

I know a few couples that share everything, including hobbies. They play tennis together, love to go antiquing, they cook together. And we all know dudes who have their Saturday morning tee times, the fantasy football league aficionados, the boat lovers...their own hobbies they devote hours to...but what about your hobbies? Do you have one...or did it go by the wayside when those kiddos came along?

I like to think I had hobbies (and no, I'm not talking about napping). I thought going on good power walks was a hobby, but that is really just working out, when you think about it. I thought watching reality TV was a hobby, but alas, I fear that doesn't count either as my husband scoffed a bit when I offered this as a legit hobby. He has a point.

I want a hobby. If I could I would go to dance as a hobby. Always wanted to, never really have. Closest I come to it: the Zumba class I took, oh, 13 months ago. A weekly or semi-monthly trip to the dance studio for a hip-hop for old folks set. I'd also love to know how to sew, maybe just monogram cool things.  There's bound to be a tutorial somewhere on that, right?

Do you have a hobby that your husband doesn't share? What is it? How long have you been doing it? Do you want to share it with your spouse?

©iStockphoto.com/ Marek Uliasz

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM

No, not at all.  We are the couple that complements each other rather than being super similar.

babygomez
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Yes I do have a hobby that my SO doesn't share, and that's photography. I've enjoyed it for a couple of years now. He has no interest in it, and that's just fine with me. :)

wandep
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Not really. We are total opposites. LOL

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Gaming, cooking and movies we share likes in. We also share well in parenting. =)

4kidz916
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I'm divorced but when I was married, we didn't have the same hobbies. 

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM

We both love to fish

Rushn311
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM

He's a gamer but I am not sure if that's a hobby. I play Sims 3, so  I guess we like games just  not the same kind.

KaylaMillar
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Not really. We share a couple of them though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

We don't share a hobby. He wouldn't want to do what I do. In a nutshell, I investigate Missing and Unidentified Persons cases.

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

No. my SO and I are pretty much complete opposites in every aspect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement