Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you in Homework Hell? Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck had to say!

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently, we asked: “Do you think your kids have too much homework?” Some moms felt that there was too much and others mentioned that the homework was so difficult they weren't even able to help their children.

Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck from the Mad Life have to say and then tell us, Are kids getting too much homework, or not enough?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (51-60):
ivf_blessed
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM

It's not the 'homework' (usually a math worksheet & 20 minutes of reading) so much as it's the studying for all the tests/quizzes my 3rd grader has.  We can spend anywhere from an hour to 2 hours a night studying depending on how many tests she has that week.

Some weeks there is at least one test or quiz every day and we can't 'cram' the night before - we study a little bit of everything each night - it's the only way my daughter retains the info.  I don't remember ever having this much studying when I was in elementary school!

RobynS
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:38 PM

No homework hell here yet. DD is in pre-school. DS is in 2nd grade and isn't overwhelmed at all by homework.

RobynS
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I find it odd that people talk about the amount of homework in terms of time (2 hours of homework, for example). I mean, the amount of time it takes really depends on how focused the child is, no? I, for one, was always distracted and unfocused. So something that took me an hour might have only taken another child 30 minutes.

lucsch
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM

No, my senior, who is 3rd in his graduating class, does all of his own homework. Occasionally, he will ask me to proofread a paper.

I homeschool my 4th grader, so I assign the homework! I suspect that it takes us less time to homeschool each day than the typical parent spends doing homework!

sashamom03
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM
My daughter's teacher said it should only take 10 min for math homework. Yeah!! Right! It depends on what kind of math it is. And she is in 4th grade.
iamcafemom83
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM
My daughter has the same homework each week (she is in pre-K). They hand it out Monday and it is due back Friday. It has 5 sheets (one front and back), and a bag to collect items that start with the letter of the week (like L is the letter of the week--so we fill the bag with lemon, ladybug, lanyard..etc and it has to be at least 3 items).

I was frankly shocked the first time they handed it out....It makes me wonder what kindergarten will be like! I thought is was a lot. Now we just try to do one or two sheets a night. I didn't expect so much homework so soon. Some nights are good, others we fight. She will complete it by Friday.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy2cristian
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I think they get too much homework.  Too much work period.  What I get angry about is that they are expected to do work EVERY week of the school year which means even for VACATIONS they still have work to do  I don't know about anyone else but when I was working my weekends AND my vacation was NOT TO DO WORK.

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I like that kids get home work. I enjoy helping my daughter and checking her work. We also go over work she did in school to make sure she understands it and if she had any trouble with it I like going over it so she knows what was wrong and how to do it right. 

I do think that the kids get to much homework though. They spend 8 hours a day in school then you get home school, have a snack, do home work, have dinner, you get an hour or so and then it is time to shower and head to bed. It is to much.

Kids need to be kids too. 

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM

My daughter is in 2nd grade and I wish I homeschooled her. She spends 7 hours in school and then the time we spend on homework and extra reading practice too.... I feel like it is all just to much. They are kids. I am actually really wanting to homeschool but my husband isn't very supportive of it and I am concerned about the lack of social interaction (we aren't really involved in anything at all). I have a toddle and a baby on the way and am seriously thinking about homeschooling them b/c we will have mroe finances by the time they would start. 

Quoting lucsch:

No, my senior, who is 3rd in his graduating class, does all of his own homework. Occasionally, he will ask me to proofread a paper.

I homeschool my 4th grader, so I assign the homework! I suspect that it takes us less time to homeschool each day than the typical parent spends doing homework!

opal10161973
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Way too much at my children's school.  Kindergartner has 30 minutes and the 2nd grader can have as much as 90 minutes of homework.  My sister lives in another county in the same state and her DD11 has been known to have 4+ hours a night.  I don't even spend that much time on college homework most days. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN