Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you in Homework Hell? Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck had to say!

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently, we asked: “Do you think your kids have too much homework?” Some moms felt that there was too much and others mentioned that the homework was so difficult they weren't even able to help their children.

Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck from the Mad Life have to say and then tell us, Are kids getting too much homework, or not enough?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (61-70):
Kainalu55
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM
My kindergartener has too much!
mommyT001
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I was just have this conversation with someone the other day, My daughter is in 5 grade she gets out at 2:45 and she's doing homework from the time she gets home until her bedtime which is 9 and I think that is ridiculous! Just because she's in a gifted class doesn't been pile on the homework. That teacher is going to make my baby hate school because of all of that work
MsBlueBelle
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Both of my children went to local public Magnet school for k-6. They averaged over 6 hours of homework each night. The school got the knick name "kiddie kollege" My children had lots of opportunities because of that Magnet program, and I fee that is why they graduated way early and instead of high school, they took their GED and went straight into college ages 14 & 16 each. There is a great program out there, it is free for anyone who wants to sign up for it. It is done through Duke University and it is called the T.I.P. or Talent Identification Program. They offer free testing to fid out what type of school and education is best for your child. They start in the program young and are followed until they graduate. They have summer programs at different locations to keep the minds working. They also allow the children who want to take their ACT & SAT as early as they want to. Both of mine took them in the 8th grade and blasted the scores, only one missed question for dd and two for ds. We had collegs lined up around the block. I did have a rule that they needed to get all the weekend homework done on Friday before bed. That way, after cleaning up their rooms, they had the weekend to be kids and have fun. They both have medical degrees and law degrees. They have several undergraduate degrees as well. Check out Duk University Talent Identification Program, if there is not one in your school, start one.
bellygirl
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Quoting elasmimi: 

That sounds awful!  Why don't you write a letter to your school board? I am a teacher AND a mother.  I teach 6th grade math.  When my students have homework, it's the practice from that day's lesson.  I don't give homework, just for grades.  However, that's what it sounds like your child's school is doing.  The teacher's are supposed to teach a lesson and the homework is to reinforce.  What is the homework for?  I guarentee you, most of those teachers don't spend ALL of their weekends grading papers and/or doing school stuff.  Why should your kids?

I hate the way they do homework in my dd's kindergarten. They send it home on Friday, and it is due on Wednesday. We are busy all weekend, then Monday is gymnastics, a late night, so she has to get it all done on Tuesday.

gumeshoe
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Excessive kindergartin homework, some with directions that never made sence, is reason #1 that I home school. If I have to teach my son for and hour or 2 each night, I might as well do the whole thing myself, my way. They claimed it was 15 mins worth, but it wasn't. There are many ways to teach lots of things, but why should I teach it your way, in your time frame and no say. The county decided the work and homework for the grade as a whole.

lucsch
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM

If you are considering homeschooling, make sure you join the homeschooling groups on CM. There are several. You don't have to be homeschooling yet to join any of them. The ladies in them will answer any questions you have.

Quoting butterflycircle:

My daughter is in 2nd grade and I wish I homeschooled her. She spends 7 hours in school and then the time we spend on homework and extra reading practice too.... I feel like it is all just to much. They are kids. I am actually really wanting to homeschool but my husband isn't very supportive of it and I am concerned about the lack of social interaction (we aren't really involved in anything at all). I have a toddle and a baby on the way and am seriously thinking about homeschooling them b/c we will have mroe finances by the time they would start. 

Quoting lucsch:

No, my senior, who is 3rd in his graduating class, does all of his own homework. Occasionally, he will ask me to proofread a paper.

I homeschool my 4th grader, so I assign the homework! I suspect that it takes us less time to homeschool each day than the typical parent spends doing homework!

bellygirl
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Quoting mommyT001:
I"m a teacher and a mother.  It makes me sad to hear that there are kids, who go home and have to spend that much time on school work.  I don't believe it's right.  I am a firm believer that homework should be beneficial to that day's lessons.  I do not give homework for the sake of just giving homework.  I teach a lesson and we have practice for that lesson.  If my students aren't able to finish their practice during our time together, then it mush be finished, at home, on the bus, during lunch, etc.  Homework is only effective if our kids are being assessed on EXACTLY what it is the teacher wants them to learn.  The only way to make changes, is for YOU, to advocate for your children.  Go the the school board, your administrator, or her teacher.  Ask her why?  Now as far as the gifted program goes.  I would tell your principal, that if all the gifted program does is give more homework, you want your daughter OUT.  NOW, why in the world would you want her to stress herself out to get A's when she can be in a regular classroom and get A's and be less stressed.  It's ridiculous.  I went through this with my cousin, who was in the gifted program at my school.  My uncle called and wanted to know if I knew why the students in the honor's program were having tons more homework a night.  Being in the gifted program is not about piling on the work.  It's about increasing the challenge and raising the bar.  I taught gifted math for several years.  You can take her out, that would send a message. 

I was just have this conversation with someone the other day, My daughter is in 5 grade she gets out at 2:45 and she's doing homework from the time she gets home until her bedtime which is 9 and I think that is ridiculous! Just because she's in a gifted class doesn't been pile on the homework. That teacher is going to make my baby hate school because of all of that work

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Where does ur daughter to school at???? My son goes to school in o.s,ms and his teacher don't give homework she saysif u can d it in class!!! He is in te 2nd grade.

Beth3721
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Montessori all the way!  No homework for these kids.

Desirees_mom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Quoting Rushn311:

I kinda feel like they don't have enough LOL

I agree, My DD takes between 1-3 min a night tops 5 min when she does not want to sit still.  She is 1st grade.  Tonight's Homework Math and her New* Reading/Spelling took her less than 2 min. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)