Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you in Homework Hell? Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck had to say!

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently, we asked: “Do you think your kids have too much homework?” Some moms felt that there was too much and others mentioned that the homework was so difficult they weren't even able to help their children.

Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck from the Mad Life have to say and then tell us, Are kids getting too much homework, or not enough?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (71-80):
Char_gal4
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Considering many teachers use homework as punishment, and homewoirk really has no real benefit until high school!

I remember laboring for HOURS on home work.  Math was what I really struggled with.  Then the projects in middle school.  Flunk the project?  KISS THE GRADES IN ALL YOUR CLASSES GOODBYE!

I was diagnosed with Asperger's in 8th grade.

angelmpb
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I'm stuck in homework hell because I can't motivate my 4th grade daughter to do her homework. She is supposed to take 45 minutes doing it, but she fights it and unless I seat with her, she doesn't do it. But even when I seat with her, she ends up taking 2 to 3 hours to do it. Not because she doesn't know it, most of the time, but because she hates doing homework. She does it very slow, she complains all the time. I'm going insane with that. Sometimes I tell her not to do it, but them she screams and cries because she will get in trouble at school. And at home, there is no play time without finishing homework, so, it's a daily nightmare.

RetiredUSAFWife
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I agree, Homework should not be an option for the Elementary level. (Although they should be taught ahead of time, to prepare for it). When I was a kid, we did ALL of our work in school. After all, the teachers are paid to do the teaching, we as parents should reniforce that the work be done, but it's NOT our job to teach the children. (I also think that their work is way to complicated for the age they are). I found out that they dont make you repeat grades anymore, they just push the children through the grades regardless of their ability to do the work. We get a pile of papers to do throughout the week. We spend about twenty minutes to one hour a night to get it done. Meaning it's allowing our own pace. Sometimes its more than other days though.

NYChicago
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I think an hour is way too much for first grade.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NoShame116
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I think the problem comes in at Jr high. Pretty much every teacher assigns homework as if their class is the only one that gives out homework. My ds who is in 7th grade ends up having 2-3 hrs of homework a night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom0603
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I love this is here tonight!! My daughter was supposed to have all her multiplication facts in May. Her teacher decided to move it up to THIS Friday!!! And let us know in a note on Monday!! We've spent 5 hours tonight and didn't get done. I'm SO mad!!
GagaNTattooS
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM

home work is hell!  we have about a 2 hr battle and we are 4th grade!!!  most of the time i end of doing half of it.. and i wish i had more time but when we are both working 12 hrs days it's very hard to spend 2 hrs when i am not home... we are thinking about private school to take some stress off.. it's 10 and we just got him in the shower.. NO i don't do Pta i don't have time for that... I already called her, she said thats what it is... and i just have to deal, my parents will not do 2 hrs of homework with him cause they think it's crazy!

honeydewdid
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM

My kid is to yuong for school but my youngest brother is in 8th grade. He brings maybe one or two homework assignments home a week and they don't take that long but he gets assigned a lot of homework but finds time to do it all at school like the end of the class lesson. That's how it was for me in school too. So from my experience I think there is a good amount. It's up to the kids to use their time wisely. I mean they get home before 4, they should have all there homework done before dinner. If they have an after school activity, there is plenty of time to do it afterwards. They just need to use their time at the school working instead of socializing. 

Now I'm in my last classes for an AAEE and my peers are always talking about "They don't get it? Just assign more homework." That is so not the answer. 

Bauxite-17
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Really? People have trouble helping their children with homework? Wow...just wow.

bluffton13
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM

My son is in 4th grade and his homework varies from 15 minutes to 2 hours.  This past weekend he had to complete 9 separate exercies each of which had 9 questions each.  He was frustrated with the amount of work and ended in tears.  In addition to these exercises, he had 3 pages of math to complete as well.  I was frustrated for him.  I think I might need to have a conversation with his teacher.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)