Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you in Homework Hell? Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck had to say!

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently, we asked: “Do you think your kids have too much homework?” Some moms felt that there was too much and others mentioned that the homework was so difficult they weren't even able to help their children.

Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck from the Mad Life have to say and then tell us, Are kids getting too much homework, or not enough?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (81-90):
Anniethemommy
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM

My Kindergartener has homework and I think its crazy we already are having the battles and shes 5! I think its my fault cause I'm not patient enough but when she starts with the sloppy work I get pissed... Like you cant take the time to do this neatly, I know everyone's like shes a kinder but she can do it neatly, she just chooses to do it fast and it turns out sloppy...I'm still in denial that shes got homework and shes 5... I don't have enough time to get her home from school homework done, bathed, fed, and in bed plus 20 min of reading (that Ive incorporated into our bed routine) and make Dinner for us & my husband... there's not enough time in my Day!!

lruesch
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM
We'll my son never brings home his homework so I really don't know how much homework he has but I do know that he almost always has per algebra homework and the teacher alway assigns a lot if problems for him to do!! And I can't help him cuz I'm going back to school online and I just had elementary and intermediate algebra and I failed it miserably!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AuntyEm774
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Here, kindergarten has a book to read every night (usually 6-8 pages) and they also need to read 14 or more books a month (15 pages is a book and they can read an equivalent number of shorter books to reach the total.)

My first grader needs to read the equivalent of 20 pages each day. He also has 12 spelling words each week and occasionally has a reading assignment in the reading textbook.

They have no orher homework unless they have missed school and couldnt get it made up during free time.
bmommyx2
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:09 AM

I so agree with you.  My son is in kindergarten & I think it's ridiculous that he even has homework.  His kindergarten also has a short day.  The homework is a lot of work for me.  I have to go online every week & print out all of the sheets & look up the assignments.  Since he can't read yet I have to explain everything to him.  The homework is not something he can do independently.  When I voiced my opinion to the principal & then the Teacher they both told me it was training me for down the road.  I'm sorry but I went to school & don't need to be "trained" & I also resent the school trying to micro-manage my time with my son & his personal time.  Also because they don't do much physical ed / activities, science, art, music he is missing out unless he has after-school enrichment classes.  Sometimes he dosen't want to do it or gets frustrated & it's such a fight.

DragonMom25
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:05 AM

my senior in high school gets about 30 minutes per class per night (4 classes each day) except for english which is a college level course he gets about an hour for that one.  there are plenty of long term projects too.

My 6th grader was not bringing any home, we found out at a parent teacher meeting (requested by us) that he was not doing homework, and that the special class for learning to organize and cope with changing classes was not doing anything (literally anything on what the class was about-they were doing this is me posters while almost empty juice pouches moulded in his locker).  it was in his IEP that he could leave any class to go to that room to type assignments or to refocus when the room of 35 kids overwhelmed him.  the teachers would not let him go, type anything, and were punishing him by removing snack and lunch time.  We decided to homeschool, since the principal was in on the meeting and agreed with the teachers that the IEP is not as important as class time spent doing testing (they spent all of October in testing for state and national tests).  the school is very pro-drugs, they want any child with any sort of learning malfunction to be druged to insensibility so they can teach the huge class of kids.

I remember some teachers gave too much homework and some gave none.  once they change classes or teachers for subjects the homework load can become crazy becasue the teachers often do not know what the others are sending home.  Kids should have time to be kids as well as learn what they need to.  unfortunately with all the testing going on there is very little learning in the classroom so it all has to be done at home.

maiahlynn
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:19 AM

my 5 year has a full day of kindergarden school is done 2:45pm & when she gets home shes falling asleep.. I wouldnt want her in school till 5pm. my 3rd grader homework is between 10min-30 depending my 8th grader is between 30 min- 3hours depending.. my kids are home by 3:10pm I wouldnt want them home later as for after school stuff its optional

Phillymama123
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Well Dd is in preschool. Her homework amounts to 10 min/day. Any homework hell is my own.
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM

My kids aren't school-aged yet, but I have a lot of work to do for school and never have time to do it because the kids are always up my butt and I have no one to help. To me, that's Hell.

ADHDmommyandson
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM

my  son school is suppose to have 10 min per grade yr  so him being 6th grade should be 60 min i was homeschooling/distant learning him  till oct he wanted to try reg  school and he barley has any homework  and the work he does bring seem so  insignificant. but hes still honnor roll 

Medusa686
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Last week my son's psycho math teacher gave them 40 math problems to do in one night and it was due to hand in the following morning.  He is in 6th grade.  These were not simple problems. Each problem required a lot of work.  Luckily his other teachers don't do this.  His other teachers give reasonable amounts. Some don't give any, some give 1 question to answer. Psycho Math teacher gives the most.  Did I mention that she screams at the kids every Monday because she has bad weekends ? He attends a blue ribbon school district so the work is above his grade level but he gets good grades, but it is challenging.  His other teachers are really nice.  Son said he despises math teacher, all the kids go. Most kids hate math as it is. She does nothing to make them enjoy it.  We both can't wait for this school year (math) to end. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)