Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Our Dirty Little Secrets

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 21 Replies

Our Dirty Little Secrets

Ninety-one percent of Americans say they wash their hands after using a public toilet, but an observational study conducted in the six US airports found that only 26 percent of men and 17 percent of women actually did. And here’s something to ponder before you shake someone’s hand during cold and flu season: A recent survey also found that only 24 percent of men and 39 percent of women always wash their hands after they cough or sneeze.

Hand hygiene among doctors is even worse, with 73 percent of pediatric ICU physicians claiming that they soaped up between patients, but when the MDs were secretly observed, only 10 percent actually washed. If doctors and nurses were more diligent about hand hygiene, up to 80,000 Americans lives would be saved each year.

Experts caution patients to ask healthcare providers a simple question before any hands-on exam: “Did you wash your hands?” That’s important even if the provider is wearing gloves, reports Texas Health Resources Infection Control.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/easiest-cheapest-way-stay-healthy

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
That is WHY I don't touch public bathroom doors! I see lots walking out without even washing their hands!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Gross.I always wash my hands

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM

ewwwww

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM

we always wash our hands

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I am always washing my hands. They get dry in this winter weather.

Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Ewwwww - we ALWAYS wash our hands!!!

TheBabyFactory4
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Gross. I wash my hands. But Im surprised more men do it. My husband is a resteraunt manager and he always catches men taking shit and going straight out to buffet. I used to work at another buffet restaurant and my old manager told us he'd see the same thing and he would go behind him.and change out all.the spoons he touched. Im noticing it more though in.the women's room.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sukainah
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Ewww, I always wash my hands and teaching my kids too as well.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM

When my first son was an infant, I was appalled that the nurse who came in and measured and weighed him didn't wash her hands between patients.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I stopped going to a local restaurant because I was in the ladies room when the hostess came in and used the bathroom and exited without washing her hands.

Not too long ago I was in the restroom and a woman came in, talking on her phone, used the toilet, still talking on the phone, and left the restroom, still talking on phone, no hand washing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN