Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Homework: Some tips to help (a little)

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

When I heard that Kiddo was going to have homework this year in Kindergarten, I was secretly thrilled. (Now, she gets three little assignments on Monday that have to be turned in on Friday, so we're not talking the hours each night kind of thing....yet). Why was i thrilled? Well, umm, confession: I loved homework as a kid. Yes, yes, I know. Not the normal thing to love, but I did love it. And I just assumed that homework love would be there in her too, be just perfect-o with my child since, well, she is my kid and has my genes and OF COURSE she'll love homework....right?

Yet, despite my confindence (please read that with sarcasm), I wanted to be sure we were kicking it off right, this whole homework thing. Although I loved homework, I also have a bit of anxiety about getting my kid to love it too. (Yes, that is foreshadowing for tomorrow's post, ladies.) So I tried to channel some of the homework tips and hints I had read (and written about) over the years.

So far, she does like it. We don't have battles (knocking wood and all), but sometimes it does take a little reminding that we need to do it. But, again, she's five. Here are a few top things I remembered reading all of the tips from the pros:

-- Have a set place for homework. It could be the kitchen table, it could be a desk, it could be on the ottoman in the den. But have a main place where she does it every time, as part of the homework routine. The experts say it get the kids into a homework mindset, which is helpful to keep focused.

-- Have the equipment. Have a cubby or a tote box or an area that has anything she may need - pencils, ruler, markers, even more stuff for when she may need to create a diorama habitat for pterodactyls. When your kids don't have the tools to do their homework, that is when they become frustrated and turn "off."

-- Place priority on it. Don't let it slide. Have doing homework be first priority after getting home from school. Granted, a snack and perhaps a few jumping jacks can come first, to get some much needed energy back into that little body.

-- Be around. If you can, be around when they are doing those math worksheets. Don't hover, don't do it for them, but be there. Provide a presence in case they have questions...and so you can see if they are having problems or difficulty. This way you can help them navigate their feelings toward the assignments and prevent bad habits from forming due to other issues. And, of course, there is always the spelling test quizzing that you can do!

Do your kids like homework...or not so much? How much do they have each day -- and how much did you have?

©iStockphoto.com/biffspandex 

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
timon95
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM

no homework here - we homeschool

elasmimi
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:59 AM

She doesn't like it already, and she is just in kindergarten. But if I sit down with her, she's ok. I just can't believe how much more they do now than when I was in school. (back in the dark ages).

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:02 AM

We are not there yet. I am dreading the thought lol.

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Ds didn't mind it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cara124
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:25 AM

All 3 of my children have homework on a daily basis but DS 11 is the one who struggles with it the most. Both DD's are great students and keep on top of their stuff on their own with very little help from me .... I don't remember having maybe more then an hour of homework each day or so .

goddess99
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:53 AM

My dd hates homework that's why I have her stay at school to finish it so I don't have to deal with her lol. She might have homework once or twice a week and it's not much.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:09 AM

They dont like homework too much.  They have an appropriate amount as did I.

aidensmomma508
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:12 AM

He doesn't have homework so much yet, thanks for sharing good tips

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM

He likes certain subjects. He usually has about 12 math problems, reading for 20 minutes and complete a reading log, and usually another subject.

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM

My son likes it so far.  But he's in K & the only homework he gets is reading from his reader twice a week.  Once he reads everything, I then chase him around the house for a couple hugs. lol  So reading is a cario workout!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Gwen (43) David (55) Augie (5.5) Alex (4)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN