Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How old for kindergarden?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son turned 3 in October and I think its time to start getting him into a school. I DO NOT want a daycare.

My understanding is that since cut off is in September, DS will have to attend school a year later than most of the kiddos.

Can anyone help me figure out if I can get him into school for the 2013-2014 school year?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Replies (11-14):
wandep
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Your welcome. Let me know what you find out.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting wandep:

I know our public school has a preschool section. I think it started at age 3 and up. They went 3 days a week for half a days and it was free. It was like regular school for them. My daughter went and loved it.

This is excellent advice...I am going to look into my local preschool. Thank you !

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Pre school would be great for him

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

In NJ you have to be 5 as of 10/1 for kindergarten.  My daughter was 4 because she has a September birthday.  I couldn't keep her out though because Academically she was too far ahead. 

What I was going to say is not to rule out preschool's within daycare.  Sometimes they are really good.  My daughter was reading short chapter books when she finished Kindergarten.  And she was ahead in other subjects as well.

JennMcBride
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM

In our state they have to be 5 by Oct 6th. Preschool is a little more flexiable but the general rule is 4 by Oct6 as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)