Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Sunday .. what's for dinner?

Posted by   + Show Post

Let us know :)

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Replies (41-47):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM

You should feel very confident that you are doing a good job ;)

Quoting Basherte:

I'd like to think that I'm doing a good job.

:)

Quoting hugss:

Sounds like you do very well with him,
Being right there is of course very important.
Am sure you are doing a great job :)

Quoting Basherte:

Thanks. I try to get him as involved as is appropriate for his age. Recognizing that I am right there as well, allows me to permit him to try things that I wouldn't allow him to try without my supervision. 

Quoting hugss:

Every bit counts & is a huge step forward though,
Great idea on him helping with the meatloaf like that as well ;)

Quoting Basherte:

He doesn't like to help form dough though,  he doesn't like the texture, but he loves to pour things in and mix things up and crush thing. 

When I make meatloaf, I have him crunch up the crackers that I add.

Quoting hugss:

That is interesting how he likes to help like that,
I think that is way cool but can understand how that may not work all the time
LOL on the onions .. hmmm
Like you say introducing him a bit at a time may help /work as well as you *showing* by example how yummy something is.
Fingers crossed his list gets longer but glad to hear his is compared to others ;)

Quoting Basherte:

I can only hope. He will eat mashed potatoes, but only IF he had a hand in making them and then it's only a few bites. Am trying to see if that works in other areas, and he will eat some of the other stuff if he has a part in making it. Have to be careful what I have him help me with though. he does love to pour things, so that might help me add a few things to my cooking that will allow him to feel that he has helped out to make the food and will then eat some of it. The list of food that he will eat, to me is short, but comparing it to others with autism, it is quite long. He won't eat veggies either. Am going to be trying to get him to eat some of those raw and see if that helps. He doesn't like onions raw though. Found that out when I make pizza. *giggles* He reached up to the table and grabbed a small hand full.. stuck them in his mouth and immediately spit them back out. But he will eat them on the pizza when it's done cooking. Same with most cheese, he'll eat it melted but not cold.

Quoting hugss:

Understand but perhaps as he gets older & sees others eat different things that may help as well.
Good on his *will eat* list as I am sure that is very important :)

Quoting Basherte:

I can only hope that it will gradually change. It's part of his autism. So, not sure if it will ever really change. He is exposed to different things all the time, though. If he shows an interest in anything we allow him to try it. And a lot of things, I will just take over to him and ask him to try it. He normally does, but it's about 25% on whether he will actually like it. If he does like it though it goes on his "will eat" list and gets made more often.

Quoting hugss:

Yes sometimes we just have to make/buy what we know they will eat,
Perhaps eventually that wiull change in time or so we hope
Bet he'll love it for his bday :)

Quoting Basherte:

Our little one had a cheese pizza. 

He doesn't like regular meat. He just likes the texture of meat in the frozen meals. Don't know why. I never bought them before, but when we discovered that it didn't matter how I cooked it he wasn't going to eat it, we bought a few and tried them. When he ate those readily, we started buying them on a regular basis. I know they aren't as healthy as other meat, but when it's the only way to get any meat in his diet, I am willing to buy them. He will eat peanut butter but not enough of it to make me happy about his protein intake. 

He also eats the pepperoni, pepperoni and sausage pizzas too.

He will eat pizza that I make from scratch as well. So I'll be doing that for his birthday. Homemade personal pizza. It isn't any harder to make the personal pizzas than it is one huge one. 

Quoting hugss:

Sure does sound great & bet you all loved it ;)

Quoting Basherte:

I made a pork roast, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, sugar snap peas.

Turned out pretty good.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I don't think that I would win any awards or anything. As far as my son is concerned, I'm the best mommy in the world.

Goodness he ate a lot of food today

Breakfast-2 eggo waffles

snack- (he asked for this) peanut butter and jelly sandwich, one nutty bar, one swiss roll. 

lunch- 1 chicken nugget. *giggles* I guess his tummy was actually finally full.

snack-1 piece of a kit kat bar.

Dinner- 4 chicken nuggets, and a toasted cheese sandwich.

He's had a lot to eat today.

That isn't normally how much he eats, but it isn't all that much more than he normally eats. the first snack isn't normally that much food. Neither is the dinner.

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Thanks. I try to get him as involved as is appropriate for his age. Recognizing that I am right there as well, allows me to permit him to try things that I wouldn't allow him to try without my supervision. 

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

He doesn't like to help form dough though,  he doesn't like the texture, but he loves to pour things in and mix things up and crush thing. 

Quoting hugss:

Like you say introducing him a bit at a time may help /work as well as you *showing* by example how yummy something is.
Fingers crossed his list gets longer but glad to hear his is compared to others ;)

Quoting Basherte:

I can only hope. He will eat mashed potatoes, but only IF he had a hand in making them and then it's only a few bites. Am trying to see if that works in other areas, and he will eat some of the other stuff if he has a part in making it. Have to be careful what I have him help me with though. he does love to pour things, so that might help me add a few things to my cooking that will allow him to feel that he has helped out to make the food and will then eat some of it. The list of food that he will eat, to me is short, but comparing it to others with autism, it is quite long. He won't eat veggies either. Am going to be trying to get him to eat some of those raw and see if that helps. He doesn't like onions raw though. Found that out when I make pizza. *giggles* He reached up to the table and grabbed a small hand full.. stuck them in his mouth and immediately spit them back out. But he will eat them on the pizza when it's done cooking. Same with most cheese, he'll eat it melted but not cold.

Quoting hugss:

Understand but perhaps as he gets older & sees others eat different things that may help as well.

Quoting Basherte:

I can only hope that it will gradually change. It's part of his autism. So, not sure if it will ever really change. He is exposed to different things all the time, though. If he shows an interest in anything we allow him to try it. And a lot of things, I will just take over to him and ask him to try it. He normally does, but it's about 25% on whether he will actually like it. If he does like it though it goes on his "will eat" list and gets made more often.

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

He doesn't like regular meat. He just likes the texture of meat in the frozen meals. Don't know why. I never bought them before, but when we discovered that it didn't matter how I cooked it he wasn't going to eat it, we bought a few and tried them. When he ate those readily, we started buying them on a regular basis. I know they aren't as healthy as other meat, but when it's the only way to get any meat in his diet, I am willing to buy them. He will eat peanut butter but not enough of it to make me happy about his protein intake. 

He will eat pizza that I make from scratch as well. So I'll be doing that for his birthday. Homemade personal pizza. It isn't any harder to make the personal pizzas than it is one huge one. 

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Turned out pretty good.

hugss

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM

That's great he ate all that,
Must have been very hungry <g>
Am sure every day is diffferent but that's ok.
A very good day for him :)

Quoting Basherte:

I don't think that I would win any awards or anything. As far as my son is concerned, I'm the best mommy in the world.

Breakfast-2 eggo waffles

snack- (he asked for this) peanut butter and jelly sandwich, one nutty bar, one swiss roll. 

That isn't normally how much he eats, but it isn't all that much more than he normally eats. the first snack isn't normally that much food. Neither is the dinner.

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Turned out pretty good.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Yeah pretty much every day is different. But that's normal. 

He's upstairs sleeping right now. Or at least being very quiet.

Quoting hugss:

Must have been very hungry

Quoting Basherte:

Breakfast-2 eggo waffles

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Turned out pretty good.

hugss

by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM

As is with all kids & different days <g>
Enjoy the quiet while you can :)

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Breakfast-2 eggo waffles

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Turned out pretty good.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:51 PM

That quiet should...repeat should, last until my alarm goes off at 5 am tomorrow morning. Just to give me some time alone before my son wakes up. Then wednesday, I have to get up at 5am so that I can make sure that I have everything ready to go for his birthday celebration. I tend to celebrate his birthday for the entire day. He gets his fave breakfast, fave lunch, and fave dinner. 

I do the same for my husband for his birthday.

Quoting hugss:

As is with all kids & different days

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Breakfast-2 eggo waffles

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Turned out pretty good.

hugss

by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Nice on your alone time then

Tjat's awesome how you celebrate his bday.

makes for great memories :)

Quoting Basherte:

That quiet should...repeat should, last until my alarm goes off at 5 am tomorrow morning. Just to give me some time alone before my son wakes up. Then wednesday, I have to get up at 5am so that I can make sure that I have everything ready to go for his birthday celebration. I tend to celebrate his birthday for the entire day. He gets his fave breakfast, fave lunch, and fave dinner. 

I do the same for my husband for his birthday.

Quoting hugss:

As is with all kids & different days

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Breakfast-2 eggo waffles

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting Basherte:

Turned out pretty good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)