Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Small things make a difference…really!

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this

There are times when I just sit there and think, "There is just no way." No way to get it all done. You know, that feeling when you are just plain overwhelmed with everything. Dinners aren't healthy enough, you haven't had some QT with the kids or your spouse in weeks, your To Do list is growing longer than Dumbledore's beard, you are always late to your son's soccer practice...and don't even mention the dust bunnies that have constructed a metropolis under your couch.

You want to start tackling it all, but it seems like, as I mentioned before, there is just no way. It's too much, too daunting, too too too - there isn't even a word to describe it, right?  The experts all say when we are feeling this way to start small. Yeah, I've heard that advice for saving money and for losing weight, but they say it can work to combat those crazed, overwhelmed feelings too.

I'm going to try it. I picked some small, really small, uber-teeny-weeny things to do, every day, to start to get a handle on it all. 

-- Have 10 minutes of individual time with each kid. If you have more than one kiddo, it can be tough to connect one-on-one with them. Heck, it's even tough to stop the hectic-ness of the day when you have only one kid, to just be with her. Setting aside 10 minutes, no phone, no TV, not while driving, just to be and talk, and, more importantly, listen can result in a huge boost in feeling connected as a parent.

-- Serve a veggie a day. Okay, so maybe those organic chicken nuggets you nuke in the microwave are on the plate for the third time this week, but adding a veggie every dinner is an easy, simple, small thing you can do to get that "being healthier" mojo rolling.

-- Have an intent for your day. It could be to consciously smile more. It could be to just be on time. Whatever it is, tell it yourself in the morning and have it be your focus. Slowly, some of those intents will become natural habits.

-- Laugh out loud. Laughing out loud once a day can relieve stress and actually improve your health. Find a funny website that always gets you, watch a video that cracks you up. Whatever it may be, this little trick can totally change that stressed feeling and your attitude.

Do you find that making one small change can affect a bigger situation? Share a small thing you do that makes a big difference!

©iStockphoto.com/marekuliasz

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:47 AM
5 moms liked this

Just did this yesterday. I was taking momma to her dr. appt., she is disabled and was worried about her co-pay. I told her from what I understood about her insurance she did not have a co-pay. So while she was having labs done I talked to the office manager, they pulled her file and insurance and realized all this time they have charged her incorrectly and now owe her a refund for the past 3 years. It was great seeing mommas face when I told her that. Momma worked her butt off for years and deserves that break, she paid it in. =)

aidensmomma508
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I try to be positive and smile and stay calm with my son when he's having a hard time. It really helps, when He sees that I'm ok, he calms down faster, if I get upset or lose patience, he gets more upset (autism meltdown). 

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM
That is great. How excited was your mom?

Quoting MichelleK41:

Just did this yesterday. I was taking momma to her dr. appt., she is disabled and was worried about her co-pay. I told her from what I understood about her insurance she did not have a co-pay. So while she was having labs done I talked to the office manager, they pulled her file and insurance and realized all this time they have charged her incorrectly and now owe her a refund for the past 3 years. It was great seeing mommas face when I told her that. Momma worked her butt off for years and deserves that break, she paid it in. =)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
My grandson is autistic. I understand what you mean. Staying calm definitely helps.

Quoting aidensmomma508:

I try to be positive and smile and stay calm with my son when he's having a hard time. It really helps, when He sees that I'm ok, he calms down faster, if I get upset or lose patience, he gets more upset (autism meltdown). 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:43 AM
For me, having a schedule makes things somuch easier. So does making list.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

The news made her smile considering she had been told her diabetes test was not good. So it felt good to give her some good news for once. =)

Quoting mrswillie:

That is great. How excited was your mom?

Quoting MichelleK41:

Juniper53098
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM

That's awesome that you got all that money back for your mom!!!  I really think people need to watch their EOB's and learn howto read them and what they mean.  There have been so many times that we've been billed incorrectly by dr's offices.  I've even mentioned the word "fraud" to our local hospital, when they charged us for an urgent care visit where we were never seen.

Quoting MichelleK41:

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I agree and it irks me to no end to know there's elderly and handicap people who probably have no one to check on things for them and they get ripped off. :(

Quoting Juniper53098:

That's awesome that you got all that money back for your mom!!!  I really think people need to watch their EOB's and learn howto read them and what they mean.  There have been so many times that we've been billed incorrectly by dr's offices.  I've even mentioned the word "fraud" to our local hospital, when they charged us for an urgent care visit where we were never seen.

Quoting MichelleK41:

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM

When I bring the mail into the house, I set it down and don't walk away from it until every piece is dealt with. This has helped me avoid so much paper pile up.

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM

My son isn't autistic, and this is true with him as well.  If he's mad, not cooperating etc, me getting mad & losing my patience makes the situation worse every.single.time.  I need to work on this - there are times I have a really hard time being patient!

Quoting aidensmomma508:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN