Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How's your patience level?

Posted by   + Show Post

Standing in line at the grocery store that has only two checkout aisles open. Sitting in crazy traffic that you didn't expect to deal with. Waiting in the doctor's office thirty minutes past your scheduled time because they are "running behind." We think our kids aren't patient...what about us? How do well you deal in those situations?

I'll go first. When I'm rested and not in a huge hurry and not stressed, then I'm a Perfectly Patient Paula - if 1 is calm as a cucumber and 10 is full-on freak out, I'm a 2. But, when am I ever rested, not in a hurry and not stressed? Exactly. So, yeah, on any given day I could be a 4 or, gulp, an 8. Not good for me, not good to show the kiddo either.

What's a mom to do to be a touch more patient, whether out and about in a situaion...or in the adobe when those kids are pushing your buttons? Talk to yourself. I already do that a lot, but according to Martha Beck, the amazing life coach who has a column that I tear our every month in O, The Oprah Magazine, it is a first step in becoming more patient: "Silently tell yourself simple things like 'It's okay.' 'You're all right.' 'There's no rush.' 'You can do this.' You'll be amazed at the power of this humble mental-management technique to help you turn knowledge into action."

Okay, I've tried it and it works...but what else can you do to knock your score down to a manageable 3 or 4 from that whoppin' 9?

-- Just hit the pause button. Stop what you are doing and thinking and switch to a self-inventory. Are you tense? How are those jaw muscles? Where are your thoughts? Check in with yourself.

-- Take five deep breaths. That whole power of deep breathing has mega calming powers.

-- When not in a tense situation, when you have two seconds, think about times when you've become really impatient. Were you trying to do too many things at one time? Were you late because of some other factors? See if you can switch up those things.

-- Get rest and eat well. Yup, two huge determiners of our patience level: sleep and food. A tired, hungry mama is, more than likely, an impatient one.

How patient are you? Are there times when you are less patient? How about with your kids -- are you really patient or not so much?

©iStockphoto.com/malerapaso

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It's a hell of a lot better now that I'm a full-time SAHM, I can say that much. DH used to be the one with "more" patience, but now I have that title.

slightlyperfect

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM

When it comes to me waiting on anything when my child isn't with me. I'm about a 1.

When my child is with me, and things are getting to him, it starts to get to me as well. Because then I feel bad that there isn't anything I can do to make it go any faster. 

When it comes to my son I have all the patience in the world. Unless he is doing it on purpose and it isn't a meltdown. 

With other people that are NT and claim that they are too lazy to do this or that. I have absolutely no patience whatsoever.

KristinRox
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I have hardly any patience. Its definitely not my strong suit and something I have to work on. Im more patient with my kids then anything else, but with everything else my patience is very little. I probably need to eat better to help with my patience.

KristinRox
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Im about the same. lol. 

Quoting momofsixangels:

I have none.Lol. I get aggravated quickly

JOIN US ON:

lazyd
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I have never had patience.  My level is at a constant 7 or 8.

djlm70
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I don't have as much patience as I use to have. My husband has even less.

MistressMinerva
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM

For the most part I'm patient but I do have bad days once in a blue moon. Hubby on the other hand has none.

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I'm usually patient, but being a former business owner, I don't deal well with people in business who don't do their job well. If I'm in a doctor's office, and it's full, it's understandable that I'm going to have to wait, I get that. If I'm in a store and the clerks are talking about what they did last night, and I'm waiting to be taken care of, then I have no patience, and speak up.  

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Depends on the day & who is home :)

flowerfunleah
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I'm actually a pretty patient person.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)