Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Does your kid have a role model?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies
2 moms liked this

I've been thinking about role models lately. Kiddo is five (and three-quarters) and she's naturally just insanely curious and becoming more and more and more aware of what and who she sees everywhere. From big kids on the bus to Pat Sajak on Wheel of Fortune, the world is creeping into her everyday.

With the inauguration of President Obama and celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. on Monday, there have been lots of talk about people who have changed (and will change) history. Discussions of folks who have made it their life mission to do good, to stand up for causes, to change the world, literally. All great people we talk about, to point out as role models...those good people to admire for their choices.

But really, how many of our kids will volunteer the name Rosa Parks or Martin Luther King Jr. (or even you or her aunt who is a doctor) as a role model...when there is Selena Gomez or Lady Gaga or Tom Brady that dominate their attention? Right. Exactly. What do you do then when they name Justin Bieber as their role model? Now, many of these celebs are perfectly great people, so you can point out the hard work they do (hours of rehearsing and honing their talent) as well as the good things they do in their off-time (charities they donate their time to and such).

But what happens when a role model doesn't act like one (ahem, hello Lance Armstrong)? Yeah, insert a big gulp. Well, that's when you have a discussion about choices, good and bad ones, about making mistakes, learning from them...and how at the end of the day, we are responsible for our actions.

It's just what's been on my brain, thought I'd toss it out there...with so much in the news of possible role model candidates, what do you think?

Does your kiddo have a role model? Who would you want to be their role model....why?

©iStockphoto.com/Jacelynwr

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I really feel its my hubby, their Dad. They seem to be able to do so much hands on that most kids would roll their eyes at if they had to try.

AleaKat
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:06 AM
I really hope they end up like their dad. He is so dedicated and disciplined in everything he does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:08 AM

My oldest really looks up to my dad.  I'm not sure about my middle two but my youngest says I'm her role model.

slw123
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Really I think my husband and I are their true role models. 

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I dont think they really do

Rushn311
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I think my daughter looks up to me, and my son does to my hubby.

aidensmomma508
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I think it's his family or Thomas the tank engine lol I really think his dad, pa, and cousin more so

goddess99
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Great question. Idk if my dd has a role model. She does like and read about Historical figures more than anyone else. I'll have to ask her after school today.

Juniper53098
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Right now, we, as parents, are their role models.  I have no idea who my oldest son's role model is.  But, he's grown now and making some really great choices with his life.

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM

My DD's role models are my SO and I.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN