Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Crock Pot Spanish Hominy (Side Dish)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 5 Replies

I made this side dish to go with the Taco Meat Loaf I made. I feel like we tend to eat the same old sides and same old vegetables all the time. It gets boring. So, I thought I would give this a go! I had never even heard of hominy before, so this was totally new for me. Also in the dish is bacon, onion, green pepper, Rotel and diced tomatoes.

Quote:

Definition: Hominy is a food made from kernels of corn which are soaked in an alkali solution of either lime or lye. The corrosive nature of the solution removes the hull and germ of the corn and causes the grain itself to puff up to about twice its normal size.

Hominy can be made with either white or yellow corn, specifically maize, which is the type of corn used in making corn meal and other grain products — as opposed to sweet corn, which is the vegetable that can be eaten on the cob and so forth.

I am pleased with the results! It was definitely good, though it was certainly spicy. I love spicy food, so this was not an issue for me. The spice all comes from the green chilies in the Rotel. The problem is that my KIDS do not like spicy. Thus, they took one bite and refused to eat more. They do love corn, though. I think they really would like it if it weren't hot. They even specifically said they don't like it because it's hot. So next time I will make it with just the diced tomatoes, no Rotel. It would still be good that way and then it avoids the spice issue.

The recipe makes a TON of food! I halved it. The way I posted it is the original recipe (which makes enough for 12, or so it says -- probably more). This quantity would be good for a dinner party or for a really large family. But if you're like me with a family of 6 or under, definitely cut it in half or you'll be swimming in Spanish hominy leftovers. ;)

Here is the recipe:

http://krzmomcrockpotcatalog.blogspot.com/#!/2013/01/crock-pot-spanish-hominy-side-dish.html

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
aidensmomma508
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Nice

Juniper53098
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I wouldn't like it, either.  I don't like spicy.  But, we can't eat corn anyway.

Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Looks good!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Looks yummy :)

wandep
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM

our kids would never eat that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement