Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you measure your stress level?

Posted by   + Show Post

It is Tuesday, which is a reason to be stressed, right? Oh, wait...maybe that is just me. Any given day could be a cause for stress...the kicker is, sometimes, we don't realize just how stressed we are, how much is really weighing on us.

I have a good barometer to my stress level: how easily I laugh. Over the weekend, we were playing a game of Monkey in the Middle aka Keep Away (though it should be renamed Mama in the Middle, as I am always in the center, trying to snatch the ball from my husband or daughter). It was tons o' fun. Kiddo was giggling, my husband was giggling, and I -- finally -- started to laugh and "let go" about halfway through. I was enjoying myself the whole time, but it took me a while to really get loose and guffaw.

It's because, yeah, I'm stressed. Nothing huge, but Life Stuff here and there that tends to hang around and weigh on the brain (and the heart). Do I get a tad gnarly or less patient when I'm stressed? Yup. Do I wake up at 2:34 a.m. and toss and turn for an hour or so? Yup. Does my stomach get wonko? Yup. But I can always tell just how much stress is affecting me by my ability to laugh.

What about you? How stressed are you? How do you know when you are really stressed? 

©iStockphoto.com/ DNY59

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
meam4444
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM

When I start loosing my cool way too fast...it's time for mommy time out.

lalasmama2007
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I'm very stressed right now.  Late December until now has been just awful for us.  I hope things start getting better soon.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I agree with this lol

Quoting meam4444:

When I start loosing my cool way too fast...it's time for mommy time out.

Hottmomma607
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

When I'm cranky! lol Yup thats about it! Working out usually helps me to relive stress!

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM

hugsQuoting lalasmama2007:

I'm very stressed right now.  Late December until now has been just awful for us.  I hope things start getting better soon.

RobynS
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Yep. Lots of stress here, too. One day I took a deep breath in the shower--like a really deep, I could feel my lungs expanding breath, and I realized I hadn't been able to do that in a LONG time. I still don't do it often.

I have terrible sleep problems--some is physical (my body doesn't produce enough melatonin, seratonin, etc), but I would guess that at least 50% of the problem is stress. :/

RobynS
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Ditto to both!!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

When I'm cranky! lol Yup thats about it! Working out usually helps me to relive stress!

AleaKat
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Ill get anxiety attacks

Vision goes blurry
Dizziness
Winded
Strong urge to crawl into fetal position in a dark room somewhere.
I just want to hide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Off the charts.We have court next month for final judgement of foreclosure and nowhere to go.We have to give the kids to the childrens home.We wont have a place to stay so they are better off that way

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I definitely have less patience with everyone, esp my kids, when I'm stressed.  It can also be harder to fall asleep, and sometimes stay asleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN