Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you measure your stress level?

Posted by   + Show Post

It is Tuesday, which is a reason to be stressed, right? Oh, wait...maybe that is just me. Any given day could be a cause for stress...the kicker is, sometimes, we don't realize just how stressed we are, how much is really weighing on us.

I have a good barometer to my stress level: how easily I laugh. Over the weekend, we were playing a game of Monkey in the Middle aka Keep Away (though it should be renamed Mama in the Middle, as I am always in the center, trying to snatch the ball from my husband or daughter). It was tons o' fun. Kiddo was giggling, my husband was giggling, and I -- finally -- started to laugh and "let go" about halfway through. I was enjoying myself the whole time, but it took me a while to really get loose and guffaw.

It's because, yeah, I'm stressed. Nothing huge, but Life Stuff here and there that tends to hang around and weigh on the brain (and the heart). Do I get a tad gnarly or less patient when I'm stressed? Yup. Do I wake up at 2:34 a.m. and toss and turn for an hour or so? Yup. Does my stomach get wonko? Yup. But I can always tell just how much stress is affecting me by my ability to laugh.

What about you? How stressed are you? How do you know when you are really stressed? 

©iStockphoto.com/ DNY59

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I'm really stressed when I can't sleep or feel sick. Day to day though my life isn't too stressful.

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I am fairly stressed at the moment due to some crazy life stuff but it is all okay. I know I am really stressed when my stomach gets all messed up and I feel extreme anxiety.  I will also have crazy dreams. 

aidensmomma508
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Mini update my son did good at the drs!

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM

When I am really stressed I get a tic in my eye and start with cold sores. When I am moderately stressed I get migraines.

Rushn311
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:51 PM

If I am real  stressed  I want to smoke A LOT. I just quit last Monday. I am not stressed  at all right now. Calm, chill.

Kainalu55
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM

there's so much sadness right now in my life, that i have been stressed a lot more lately.  i feel like i am too easily stressed at times

Kainalu55
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM

it's great that you quit smoking

Quoting Rushn311:

If I am real  stressed  I want to smoke A LOT. I just quit last Monday. I am not stressed  at all right now. Calm, chill.

Kainalu55
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

that is great!

Quoting aidensmomma508:

Mini update my son did good at the drs!

Kainalu55
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:08 PM

i know how that goes

Quoting meam4444:

When I start loosing my cool way too fast...it's time for mommy time out.

Kainalu55
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM

i had what the doctors think was an anxiety /panic attack for the first time in December

Quoting AleaKat:

Ill get anxiety attacks

Vision goes blurry
Dizziness
Winded
Strong urge to crawl into fetal position in a dark room somewhere.
I just want to hide.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)