Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you measure your stress level?

Posted by   + Show Post

It is Tuesday, which is a reason to be stressed, right? Oh, wait...maybe that is just me. Any given day could be a cause for stress...the kicker is, sometimes, we don't realize just how stressed we are, how much is really weighing on us.

I have a good barometer to my stress level: how easily I laugh. Over the weekend, we were playing a game of Monkey in the Middle aka Keep Away (though it should be renamed Mama in the Middle, as I am always in the center, trying to snatch the ball from my husband or daughter). It was tons o' fun. Kiddo was giggling, my husband was giggling, and I -- finally -- started to laugh and "let go" about halfway through. I was enjoying myself the whole time, but it took me a while to really get loose and guffaw.

It's because, yeah, I'm stressed. Nothing huge, but Life Stuff here and there that tends to hang around and weigh on the brain (and the heart). Do I get a tad gnarly or less patient when I'm stressed? Yup. Do I wake up at 2:34 a.m. and toss and turn for an hour or so? Yup. Does my stomach get wonko? Yup. But I can always tell just how much stress is affecting me by my ability to laugh.

What about you? How stressed are you? How do you know when you are really stressed? 

©iStockphoto.com/ DNY59

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
abra
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I just keep tabs on how I am responding to what is going on around me. 

Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Right now very stressed. its 7:30, my kids are running around the house like Insane nut cases, I just tired to set up online checking for our new checking account. Switch my paypal bank, and file our taxes, and they are jumping around. and every other second running in here, asking what im doing, wanting this. Screaming. And my oldest is finding  every excuse to do his homework...

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Yes, usually it is emotionally stressed, but sometimes if I am run down because of illness I get them, too. :(   There is an ointment that the doctor prescribed that I keep on hand for cold sores. Unfortunately it is expensive.

Quoting Kainalu55:

i didn't know cold sores could be related to stress.  I do get them every so often.

Quoting Bmat:

When I am really stressed I get a tic in my eye and start with cold sores. When I am moderately stressed I get migraines.

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:08 AM

When I don't laugh at my DH's attempts to be a smarty pants, that's when I say my patience has run out. I was trying to be patient today as a part of the Love  Dare and I was doing ok until my DH said something very generic to my question of what he wanted for dinner. That was when my patience ran out and I told him that I guess that he didn't want dinner and walked away to finish cleaning out the cat boxes. He knows my Tuesdays are my busy days (getting ready for garbage day) and yet he wants to take the day off from work and take us shopping instead, plus we had to get a new microwave because the old one decided to die. Blah! So we ended up going out to dinner tonight, yay!

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:21 AM

I vertually have little to no stress most of the time. 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I know I'm really stressed when even the smallest sound that isn't expected makes me jump.

I'm pretty close to that right now. 

RobynS
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Apparently, this was caused by stress (I'll just copy/paste my FB status from yesterday):

I can't begin to repeat the entire explanation my dentist gave me for what's going on with my jaw, but basically my right jaw is all out of whack--something about CRUSHED TENDONS, and I'll be wearing a guard at night for a while (though wiring my jaw shut would be the 'better' solution--yikes!)

heather4511
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I am stressed ALL the time, but I can tell how much that is by the ball of tension in my stomach. Unfortunately, I can tell im really stressed if I find myself counting to ten a lot when the kids are naughty. 

lazyd
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:57 AM

WAAAYYY to stressful.  No one will leave me alone.  I think the medical field needs to invent a test!  It should be one of those things they clip over your finger to get you blood pressure and it measures your stress level from 1 to 10 or somethin like that.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM

When I started to get grouchy with my kids I know I am feeling stress.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN