Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Stress management 101

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, yesterday we went over how we know when we are stressed, spent, a tad frazzled. The obvious follow-up: what do we do when we are stressed, to knock down those feelings, become calmer, less at wit's end? The thing is, there is a lot of info out there, with proven results to help us when we're battling the stress monster...but how often do we follow that expert advice? Right, I'm not good about it either, but here are a few that I'm going to try to do when I know my stress-o-meter is rising.

-- Count and breathe. Sounds simple right? Sometimes the simplest is the best...taking in a slow breath for seven counts, holding it for four or five, and then slowing breathing out for eight (and repeating that for a few minutes) is one of the most effective ways to de-stress.  

-- Exercise. Sure, a good 40-minute power walk five days a week does your body good and keeps your stress level low, but even 10 minutes of jogging in place or jumping jacks or shadow-boxing can bust that stress.

-- Turn on some tunes. Blast that 80s music you love, sing it out loud and proud, maybe shake that tush a bit (dance is a form of exercise too!) or put on soothing instrumentals. Music calms the savage beast -- and your inner stress monster.

-- Say "no" more. More often than not, we bring on this stress by piling too much on our plate, trying to do too many things. Really look at that agenda: is there something that you said "yes" to...when you really wanted to say no? When you are overloaded or even when you aren't, get in the habit of maintaining a good balancein your schedule.

How do you relieve stress? Share your de-stressing tips here!

©iStockphoto.com/dendog

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Nice hot bubble bath, working out at Curves, knitting, and now I am teaching myself to crochet.

aidensmomma508
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Breathing, taking a break. 

Rushn311
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Now I just take a breather. I quit smoking, so I can't do that anymore. Just some deep breaths.

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I go to the gym and get in a good workout.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Hot shower and warm tea.

heather4511
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I need to follow the first three more. Maybe I need to make a checklist and put it in a visible spot. 

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM

same here

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Hot shower and warm tea.

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I normally de-stress by getting online venting to friends or by reading. It also helps to make a list of ways that will help any stress I may feel.

mmtosam06
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Walking its the best stress reliever and drinking coffee and music is a big plus
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BabyTeki
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Breath and take a break.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)