Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you in a perfection trap?

Posted by   + Show Post

I adore Pinterest. Love looking and repinning those pics of fantastically justsocool outfits, the inspiring interiors, yummy tote bags. High on my pinning list: cool DIY crafts that look awesome and relatively easy to do. I noted them back in October,pinned them...and thought to myself, "Yes! This holiday season I will do that! That will make the holidays just perfect."

Did I do those DIY crafts? Nope, not a one.

How do I feel about that? Well, not great, felt a bit of a failure. And, of course, this is just one minor instance of feeling less-than-perfect. I've chatted with loads of mommy friends, and we all have moments when it hits us, when we feel not-so-great and definitely not perfect. Which is tough. Some of us come from that Type A personality, that straight A student mentality that needs to get that gold star.

Let's all have a big sigh, huh? Life -- and especially motherhood -- is not about gold stars. It's about doing the best we can in the moment: the tough moments and the not-so-tough ones. But that isn't always easy to remember, is it?  The thing is, often we are judging ourselves against others...which will always result in trouble. What's that quote by Theodore Roosevelt -- "Comparison is the thief of joy."

How am I letting go of that perfectionist behavior? First step, stop comparing myself to anyone (or any pin, as gorgeous as it may be). Only person I compare myself to? Me.

Do you find yourself falling into the perfection trap? Does anyone in your life try to be perfect all of the time? Do you compare yourself to others?

©iStockphoto.com/ mattjeacock

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-52):
slw123
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM

When I do something, I do it to perfection.  I pin tons of things from Pinterest, but rarely do any of them.

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Nope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)