Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you in a perfection trap?

Posted by   + Show Post

I adore Pinterest. Love looking and repinning those pics of fantastically justsocool outfits, the inspiring interiors, yummy tote bags. High on my pinning list: cool DIY crafts that look awesome and relatively easy to do. I noted them back in October,pinned them...and thought to myself, "Yes! This holiday season I will do that! That will make the holidays just perfect."

Did I do those DIY crafts? Nope, not a one.

How do I feel about that? Well, not great, felt a bit of a failure. And, of course, this is just one minor instance of feeling less-than-perfect. I've chatted with loads of mommy friends, and we all have moments when it hits us, when we feel not-so-great and definitely not perfect. Which is tough. Some of us come from that Type A personality, that straight A student mentality that needs to get that gold star.

Let's all have a big sigh, huh? Life -- and especially motherhood -- is not about gold stars. It's about doing the best we can in the moment: the tough moments and the not-so-tough ones. But that isn't always easy to remember, is it?  The thing is, often we are judging ourselves against others...which will always result in trouble. What's that quote by Theodore Roosevelt -- "Comparison is the thief of joy."

How am I letting go of that perfectionist behavior? First step, stop comparing myself to anyone (or any pin, as gorgeous as it may be). Only person I compare myself to? Me.

Do you find yourself falling into the perfection trap? Does anyone in your life try to be perfect all of the time? Do you compare yourself to others?

©iStockphoto.com/ mattjeacock

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I try to not compare myself, but sometimes its hard.  There are some moms I know who I think try to be perfect (the perfect volunteer mom, the perfect Christian, the perfect mother etc).  It just makes it harder for me to feel like I can be a good friend with them, that I can be honest & real with them.

ceciliam
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I'm pretty good with not comparing myself to others....now I'm trying to teach that to my son.

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

The older I get, the easier it is to not strive for perfection, to accept myself as I am, and to be real with others.

I'm an older mom, so all the moms of kids my kids' ages are younger than me.  Sometimes I wish I had more mom friends my age & older, perhaps the perfection thing that I see in some of the moms I know would be better.

Quoting sukainah:

Perhaps this is my problem too. :-)

Quoting elasmimi:

I find that the older I get, the less I strive for perfection.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I'm an older mom too and the moms I know are younger than me with the kids who are the same ages as mine.

Quoting GwenMB:

The older I get, the easier it is to not strive for perfection, to accept myself as I am, and to be real with others.

I'm an older mom, so all the moms of kids my kids' ages are younger than me.  Sometimes I wish I had more mom friends my age & older, perhaps the perfection thing that I see in some of the moms I know would be better.

Quoting sukainah:

Perhaps this is my problem too. :-)

Quoting elasmimi:

I find that the older I get, the less I strive for perfection.

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I fall into the perfection trap sometimes.  It's just easy to look around and see people who I think are perfect doing these oh-so-perfect things.  And then I realize that I live in real life, and that the best I can do is exactly what I need to get done.

timon95
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

exactly! i am in no way perfect and i know i will never be perfect and that is fine.

Quoting lillucky8:

I try not to compare myself to others, we are all in different situations and make our own choices. I do the best i can for my family.

family car

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Yes!

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I don't compare myself to others.

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I always compare myself to everyone.I am so far from perfect

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Yes, I try to be perfect all of the time, and I get frustrated because I don't succeed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement