Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Groceries

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 14 Replies

How do you save money?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Our grocery bill is $500 a month for a family of 4. We need to cut back some place and this is it. When I look for coupons I don't find any that we need. For dinners we mostly have meat, veggie, and sometimes mac n cheese or something like that for the kiddos. 

Juniper53098
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM

We buy meat by the animal, directly from the farmer.  It saves a TON of money.

wandep
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:48 PM

We don't have a place nearby that does that. :(

Quoting Juniper53098:

abra
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM
We have a $500 a month for feeding a family of 5 plus one on formula ($50 a month). So basically $450 a month for feeding 5. I stick with my list. I don't have time to coupon so I have a list of basics I copied from the list in Alice Water's The Art of Simple food and I just restock those plus a couple extras (in produce) and that's it! We don't eat of meat, to that helps, but when we do, we buy it locally so it costs a little more.

Quoting wandep:

Our grocery bill is $500 a month for a family of 4. We need to cut back some place and this is it. When I look for coupons I don't find any that we need. For dinners we mostly have meat, veggie, and sometimes mac n cheese or something like that for the kiddos. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Coupons!!! I use them when there is a b1g1f deal

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:18 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Coupons & sales :)

abra
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Aww, we buy meat locally in season, but the rest of the year we go to a food co-op that imports it from the nearest quality farm (usually a couple hours away). It was a lot harder to do this when we lived in a metropolitan area. We would have had to go to Whole Foods, but they are so pricey! We usually ended up at Trader Joes. 

Quoting wandep:

Quoting Juniper53098:

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM

We put back a lot of our own.

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Coupons, and buying in bulk at costco has saved us a lot!

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I would check on craigslist or even find a butcher/locker near you which you could call to see if somene has an extra quarter.  We raise our own beef cows (and soon pigs), and if we have an extra quarter, they have a list of people which they can call to see if they want it.  Or, they sometimes just keep it at the locker until someone comes to purchase it. 

Quoting wandep:

Quoting Juniper53098:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)