- Gather your materials. You will need some foam hearts in various colors ( dollar store!), a red marker, pen, ribbon and clothes pins.
- Start by writing the classic conversation hearts sayings all in uppercase letters on your hearts.
- Next write out interesting and conversation provoking questions on the opposite side. No yes or no questions!
- Hang your ribbon close to your dinner table. You could make a garland, wreath or even pop them in a bowl too. Get your kids interested in this before dinner.
- At dinner have a child choose a heart and read both sides.We went around in a circle giving our answers and letting others comment and ask questions about each answer.
- My daughter wanted to read too â€“ we arenâ€™t sure what herâ€™s really said but she asked us â€ť You like candy?â€ť We all shared our favorite types of candy . We will keep this up until Valentineâ€™s Day and hopefully have as enjoyable dinners ( most days) as we did tonight.
A preschool board meeting prevented me from posting this when I had planned and we have now had 3 dinner with these conversation hearts. All have been fun, informative and really great family time. My kids have been racing to the table to be the one chosen to pick the first heart. My daughter has chosen the same heart every night but asks us new questions that we can usually decipher. Tonight I learned that my son loves a new book , my daughter loves her brother more than princesses, that my husband loves math more than sports and when it comes down to it I like reading about educational psychology more than art history, even if the pictures arenâ€™t as pretty.
Here is the list of questions I included:
What is your favorite game to play?
What is your favorite subject to learn about?
What do you want to get better at?
What is your favorite book?
What is your favorite sport?
What character from a book/movie or TV show would you like to be?
What was your least favorite ride at at Disneyland?
What is your favorite food?
How old do you have to be to get married? ( My son said â€ť Well the law is 18 right? So Iâ€™ll stick with the law.â€ť I almost choked on my dinner.)
What is your favorite room in the house to read in?
If you could visit any country in the world where would you go?
what do you want to be when you grow up?