Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Grocery Shopping w/....

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM
  • 32 Replies

Grocery Shopping with younger children how do you do?

Do you always hear Can I have...

Mommy I want....

Do you go in with a plan?

Is there a pep talk before you enter?

DD does this still at 12...lol sometimes.  She does take the no better now that she is older, but when she was younger it was like I was killing her.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Always hear I wants. Drives me nuts.

gmadiane
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Its been a while since mine were young but I do believe they were pretty well behaved but I have been recently with the grandkids all under 4 and yes its they want everything and if I had the money I would give them everything, lol

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM
First line of defense , " noone is getting gum , candy, a movie, or anything special today. If you ask, someone from you room will disappear" ( even with the smaller ones)

Second line of defense: the IPOD!! If I can't hear the begging, it's much more likely to stop because evidently, I'm not listening. I take one side out to ask what cereal they want and to pay... That's it.

I've never had to tolerate it with my older son, ever. My 2.5 ur old doesn't yet.... He still likes to just people watch.:-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM

WIth the baby, I usually put him in the ergo.  As far as my older kids, yep, I hear it too...but, I usually give pep talks that we won't get anything good on the list if they do say it.  I don't mind them suggesting an item, but the "want" gets to me.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:02 PM
They are 3 and 5
If they are good by the end they get 1 treat at the register. They are fairly well behaved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Frosting
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM

When mine were really little it was best to just not go with them.  But I gave the in-car pep talk of "no means no and don't ask for things," up until they hit their teens.  I loved my kids being little but there are certain things like this that I really do not miss at all, lol.

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I usually take dd w me. Shes two. She points out random things around the store and writes all over my list to keep her busy. Usually the worst part is checkout bc she is antzy trying to press buttons on the machine and grab the bags
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I hear "mommy, can I buy...". Depending on what it is, if I can afford it, she gets it. She is well behaved, never cries/throws tantrums if I say "no, not today".

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:49 AM

There's usually a pep talk before we go into the store.  With the four of them it's not just about the "I want this" or "Mom this is cool" hints, but about keeping them together, and on one side of the aisle so that others can go by...it's like my own little row of ducklings.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I don't have that issue yet, as my son is non verbal. My mom used to tell us right before we would go in to any store whether it be a grocery store or a clothes store, that she wasn't getting us anything. If we asked for anything she would walk us to the cashier and buy what she had on her at that time, then we wouldn't get to go with her for at least two months when she would go shopping again. Without us to be able to get what she needed to get without us interferring with it.

It worked for us.

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement