Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you in a cooking rut?

Posted by   + Show Post

Although Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow and is predicting an early spring (though I was watching and it was pretty overcast, so I'm not exactly sure how Phil saw a shadow, but I digress). Regardless of the prognostications of the celebrity  rodent, the temps are still brutal. We are still in the smack dab middle of winter. Which means the ol' winter rut.

A rut. That feeling like you have been doing the same old-same old for weeks, months (years?). The feeling, when you wake up, that you are in, well, the movie Groundhog Day, repeating the same tasks day in, day out. A rut can happen any time of year, but it seems like in winter time, I feel more rut-ish. Anyone else? There is nothing that takes the joy out of the everyday than feeling like you do the same thing everyday....and many a mom I've talked to say they feel in a rut. They cook the same thing every week, they wear the same thing every day, they sit on the couch every night with their husband...you get the idea.

Let's shake it up! This week is all about busting those ruts. First up: the cooking rut. I am definitely in one. The kiddo gets mac n cheese and chicken nuggets (but they are organic!) at least three times a week. I'm not a great cook, my kitchen is lacking, but that is still no excuse for this mega rut.

-- Start meal planning. So many of us rely on the same meals over and over again because we are crunched for time and are deciding at 5:01 what to get on the table by 5:45.  When you plan out and shop for a week's worth of meals (new ones!), it takes the indecision-rushed factor out of dinner. A simple way to plan for new meals and shake that rut.

-- Cookbook challenge. Find a cookbook that intrigues you (or has been sitting on that shelf since you were married) and challenge yourself to cook at least one or two meals from it each week.

-- Get the kids involved. Have a bowl with a bunch of pieces of paper with different names of vegetables and countries, colors, you name it written on them. Have the kids pick one or two slips of paper, and you have to cook something from that country or with that veggie or that is that color. A fun way to get creative with the cooking.

Are you in a cooking rut? Do you make the same few meals all of the time? How did you break from that rut?

©iStockphoto.com/ explosiekeeper

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
sukainah
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Yep, that's what our problem is too.

Quoting timon95:

yes, i am in a cooking rut. i do not plan on changing it up much. the kids and dh are pretty picky - that would be why we are in a rut

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Pinterest is a great site!

Quoting 4kidz916:

I try a lot of Pinterest recipes.  I love that site. 

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Yes, but I'm slowly getting out of it. Thanks to Pinterest, I'm trying all kinds of new recipes.

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I switch over and bake more. =)

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I am always trying out new recipes. I post about 5 or 6 new recipes every day over in the Dinner Ideas group here on CM.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114484

RobynS
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Yes, I am in a bit of a rut. :/

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I agree--I need to get back on there for ideas.

Quoting natesmom1228:

Quoting 4kidz916:

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Yes, but I'm slowly getting out of it. Thanks to Pinterest, I'm trying all kinds of new recipes.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I am very much in a rut. I watch recipes on CM and looking through recipe sites, but I still don't try many new things.

aneela
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM

yeah i think i am right now...but hopefully that will change in a few months

Samanthamommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I like going to skinnytaste.com, she has a lot of recipes

Samanthamommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Yes, and pinterest, too!

Quoting meam4444:

I agree--I need to get back on there for ideas.

Quoting natesmom1228:

Quoting 4kidz916:

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)