Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you in a style rut?

Posted by   + Show Post

It is Bust a Rut Week...yesterday, we tackled that rut in the kitchen. Now go look in the mirror. Are you in a style rut? Have you had the same haircut since high school? Do you look in the closet and see five black ohsosimilar cardigans? Do people react with huge amazement any time you wear something new? Yeah, that's a style rut. I'm in one. I know I am, but how to break out of it (without totally breaking the bank too)? Good question. Here's some advice from fashion pros that I'm going to try - a lot has nothing to do with shopping!

-- Forget the mega makeover. Chopping off eight inches and getting bangs and totally wearing neon colors when you usually have been a neutral gal doesn't work. You will, more than likely, fall back into your usual pattern within weeks (and lament that hair choice every morning). Instead, focus on refining and enhancing the style you naturally love. (Though, if your last haircut was over six months ago, go get a trim. That "freshen up" of your hair can do wonders.)

-- Look in the mirror every day for a week and examine your look. What are you saying with your "in-a-rut" clothes? How do you feel? Write it all down.

-- Look at your closet and your style. Describe it, write it down. Now, do a little research. What style don't you want (Not boring? No rocker tees? No frumps?). Now refer to pictures of style icons you love or those pins on Pinterest for the style you want to have or think of that friend whose style you admire. Compare what you do now to what you want to do. What are you missing?

-- Take small steps. A good friend of mine who worked for years writing about the fashion business said individual style is all about the layering - and not just putting a cardigan over a shirt. The accessories are a layer too. Boost your look and get out of the rut with accessories: get some new jazzy necklaces, toss on a colorful scarf, get a few new pairs of shoes. Instead of a regular pair of jeans, grab one in a new color or hue. Rework what you put together and how you wear clothes you already have.

-- Take pictures of new outfits you assemble and that you like. Print them out and post them on the closet door. Many times, we fall into the style rut because we are pinched for time and can't think of what to toss on expect the usual blah rut outfit. Having pictures there and ready as a reference tool is a perfect way to know exactly what to put together even when you haven't had coffee yet.

Are you in a style rut? What do you want to change? When was your last haircut?

©iStockphoto.com/ Montreal_Photos

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-62):
nngmommy83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I do need a new style but just don't know where to start

ScrChk23
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Yes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement